• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

To the extent I spent "a lot of time" anywhere, I suppose yes. I was a low-key Audrey groupie from Bemelmens, then at the brief beacon that was Blackbird. Pegu opened just when my first son was born and that leads to a story that I probably shouldn't tell because it reflects badly on both me and Audrey - ha.

Pegu opened the night of the day my wife died.

I was there, that's for sure.

As for Audrey at Blackbird, my Dale-groupie friends and I always made sure to sit at Dale's side of the bar.  We wanted him, not the little blonde girl on the other side.

One night, there just wasn't any room on Dale's side.  That's when we realized the little blonde girl was a genius.

I've used really peaty whisky's in this to very good effect. Basically a smoky daiquiri. I would imagine a sour would work pretty well too (I love mezcal sour).

Today we had gin mules.

We have a houseguest who always brings something "interesting" from the duty free. So a liter bottle of Seville Orange Tanqueray, as well as a gin based on rhubarb and ginger. What do I do with these?

I have orange and celery bitters as well as angostura and peychaud's. Cointreau, Grand Marnier. Carpano Antica sweet Vermouth, and a Munich version of Aperol/Campari. (Somewhere in between.)

Oh wait, I have an unopened bottle of really good dry German Vermouth. Hmm. Promising.

What are good proportions?

Is the rhubarb gin from Whitley Neil?

Yes, that's the one.

Your thoughts? I've tried a number of their gins and was underwhelmed.

Fine for cocktails. For something where the gin is in the foreground i would use a different one.

So we may have actually met at some point?

Or at least been drinking in the same place at the same time.

Likely we've been at the same bar at the same time at *some* point in the past 20-some years, but really, once kids came along, my dabbling in the cocktail scene focused way more on at-home options.

Hey can I use Grand Marnier in a Pegu Club? Or is it too far away from Curaçao?

Pegu Club is a weird one to balance, but if you just think of it as a gin margarita and tailor to your tastes....

That said, the gin alone can make a huge difference. I wound up with a bottle of Brockman's gin from a friend who bought it and hated it (very berry forward, not much botanicals coming through), and I immediately thought it would shine in a sour. So it's now my house standard, when I bother to have it in, for anything with lemon or lime.

Anyway, with Grand Marnier, you may want to dial that component back, or another couple drops of Ango, or add some orange bitters. Always fun to play with all the things!

Likely we've been at the same bar at the same time at *some* point in the past 20-some years, but really, once kids came along, my dabbling in the cocktail scene focused way more on at-home options.

I probably should've had kids.

Nah.

shaking/stirring?

Generally speaking, you stir cocktails whose ingredients are all alcoholic (like a Martini or a Manhattan) (or, in Plattetude's list, a Purgatory or a Little Italy), and you shake cocktails that include non-alcoholic ingredients like juice (like a Daiquiri or a Last Word) (or, in Plattetude's list, a Champs Elysées or a Pegu Club).

if only someone had told stanley tucci that...

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Conrad/status/1252390174215921666

Once he starts out with Vodka you KNOW you can't believe a word he says.

No, he does use gin. Looks like Plymouth. He just says that you can do vodka if you don't like gin.

But I find it pretty ironic that he goes on about how he prefers it up rather than on the rocks AND THEN SHAKES THE HELL OUT OF IT WHICH MAKES IT WORSE THAN ON THE ROCKS.

But at least it's a Negroni.