Continuing the Negroni theme...

The Jitney by Leo Robitschek

3/4 oz mezcal
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz coffee-infused dry vermouth
1/2 oz blanc vermouth
2 dashes absinthe
Grapefruit twist

Can a cocktail be both subtle and assertive? Delicate and in your face? Why yes, yes it can.

N.B. For the infused vermouth, crack a handful of coffee beans and steep in whatever volume of dry vermouth you want to devote to this. (I did 4 beans in about 3 oz.) Let sit for an hour or so, strain, and refrigerate.

The original specs call for Cinzano vermouths, but I used Dolin. Based on prior experience with this cocktail, I'd say go with Cinzano if you have the option -- the bianco in particular lends a welcome extra fruitiness to the end product.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

I hopped on the Corpse Revivor bandwagon. Don't shame me but it was the first time I made them at home. I admittedly had to go to the liquor store to buy Lillet.  It was a big hit..... Definitely more

Posted Images

I know, "really, another Negroni variation?" Yes, really.

Kingston Negroni, Joaquim Simo's brainchild

Equal parts Smith+Cross, Campari, and sweet vermouth. This stuff all just marries together beautifully. Good grief.

(I subbed Forthave Red, which is an exceptional Campari substitute, a little softer and fruitier and really freaking delicious, with Cocchi Torino, my standard sweet vermouth.) 

@Sneakeater - since you included a Hot Toddy among your drink recommendations this week, have you ever considered an improved Toddy? Instead of hot water, use a flavorful tea (i really like Trader Joe's Autumn Harvest for this). Honey, cinnamon stick, and muddled lemon. Then add the bourbon (or rye if your prefer).

Busting out some autumnal options these days.

Warday's

1 oz gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz applejack (Lairds Bonded)
1 oz sweet vermouth (Cocchi Torino)
1/4 oz green Chartreuse

Stir, strain into chilled coupe. Lemon peel garnish.

So so good.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Red Queen

3 oz red wine

1 oz bourbon

½ oz Campari (recipe calls for Amaro Braulio)

¾ oz lemon juice

1 tsp powdered sugar (recipe calls for 1/2 oz simple syrup)

garnish: rosemary sprig

Some unused egg white in the fridge, so thoughts turned to...

Pisco Sour
2 oz pisco
1 oz lemon (I went with a lemon/lime split)
1 oz simple
egg white

Dry shake; shake with ice; strain into coupe. Dot foam with Angostura.

When I shared a pic of it with my Peruvian colleague, she insisted she'd get me some *good* pisco next time she goes home. This is me arguing.

• Like 1