• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

Yellow Cocktail.  Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

Pour 3/4 oz. each Gin, yellow Chartreuse, Suze, and lemon juice into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

The Modern

1 1/2 oz Scotch

1 1/2 oz Sloe Gin

1/2 oz Lemon Juice

1/4 oz Simple Syrup

1 Dash Absinthe

1 Dash Orange Bitters

Shake with ice. Strain into chilled coupe.

Very well balanced cocktail. Really liked it. Might have another tonight.

Courtesy of my new cocktail tome, THE NOMAD COCKTAIL BOOK, a sublime manhattan riff

1 oz Ferrand 1840 Cognac
1 oz Laird's Bonded Applejack
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
3/4 oz Cocchi Torino
2 dashes Scrappy's Grapefruit bitters

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I miss the Nomad Bar, but boy could that place be a shitshow.

However, really good food to accompany some great cocktails made it a once-in-a-while fun stop.

Yeah, I had a couple of not-too-fantastic experiences in the dining room, but the few times I sat at the bar were superb.

But really, I was drawn to the cocktail book on the strength of some amazing Leo Robitschek creations I've stumbled on over the past couple years.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, plattetude said:

Yeah, I had a couple of not-too-fantastic experiences in the dining room, but the few times I sat at the bar were superb.

But really, I was drawn to the cocktail book on the strength of some amazing Leo Robitschek creations I've stumbled on over the past couple years.

For sure - some of (many of?) Leos' creations are just superb. And some great names as well!

I would like to pedantically draw the distinction between a "shitshow" and a "clusterfuck".

As those terms were originally used, a "shitshow" was an incompetent restaurant that simply was unable to perform.  A "clusterfuck" was a a restaurant that became so popular and thus so crowded and in demand that it became an unpleasant experience.  But a "clusterfuck" could still be fundamentally good.

The NoMad Bar shows why this distinction is useful.  The cocktails (and the food, for that matter) were always excellent; the bar still performed at the highest level even under the most trying circumstances.  It just got so crowded that you didn't want to be there -- even if you could get in.  (Aside from the consistent high quality of the product, it wasn't like the wait staff were mixing up orders, for example.)

I think it does Leo and his excellent staff a huge disservice to say they operated a "shitshow".  It was, however, a "clusterfuck".

• Thanks 1