• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Blackberry Malt: 4-5 fresh blackberries, 3/4 oz. simple syrup, 1 3/4 oz. Irish whiskey (recipe calls for a single malt, but N used the Jamieson's we have), 3/4 oz. lime juice, and seltzer.  In an

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

Posted Images

On 11/24/2020 at 8:52 PM, bloviatrix said:

Apple Snap

1.5 oz Gin (Opihr)
.75 oz apple cider
.75 oz lemon juice

Shake with ice. Pour into Collins glass with fresh ice, add 3 oz ginger beer.  Apple peel garnish. Spicy profile of the Opihr works nicely in this. Quite dry.

Ever since I made this I've been thinking I should try it with Old Tom Gin which I did tonight. Highly recommend,

As I've complained previously, there is no decent kosher vermouth on the market (at least in the US). A friend decided to solve the problem by making his own and was one of the beneficiaries of his handy-work.

So when one has sweet vermouth on hand, one makes a Manhattan.

Can't remember the name of this drink, but I found it while searching for ways to use the remaining (sweet) hard cider from Sunday's dinner.  It was refreshing, if a little sweet--it would go well with a drier cider too.

3/4 oz. Campari
3/4 oz. Scotch
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
Hard cider

Shake the first 4 ingredients with ice, then strain into a flute glass.  Fill glass to the top with cider. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

My approximation of the Bloody Beet from White Slab Palace, o.b.m. Strained borscht, lemon, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, vodka. Garnished with a new pickle (the bar didn't do this, but I have a lot of pickles in the house).

File_002.jpeg.349bf0695d3499bbea8312fd9cbf0793.jpeg

• Like 1

Our local tiki bar has started producing cocktail kits, to compensate for their loss of income after they had to shut down the outdoors space.  So we got their "New Century Mai Tai" kit, which contains their secret Mai Tai mix (involves orgeat, curacao, and almond milk) and a blend of Appleton rum, pineapple rum, and cachaca.  You stir together 1 part mix to 2 parts rum blend over ice.  The mix is good for 6 drinks and the rum blend for 3 drinks, so you can use your own rum(s) for the remaining drinks.

Oh, and we had our Mai Tais in our new set of spiffy rocks glasses.

tiki.jpg

• Like 1

I can attest that Mai Tais made with Cruzan blackstrap molasses are really good and intense, and curiously were less strong than the ones made with the 2 rums + cachaca blend.

My NYE menu -- I batched these and sent to my SIL to have along with our Zoom get-together. Cuz I'm a dork like that.

We begin with something light, fun, fruity, and BUBBLY. You know, just like 2020 has been.

Merry Berries

1 oz Averell (or Sloe gin of choice)
1 oz Pasubio (sub Cappelletti Aperitivo)
4 oz sparkling wine of choice
Grapefruit peel

Stir in mixing glass with ice*; strain into flute (or coupe or… whatever works); top with sparkling; express grapefruit peel and drop in 

[water break] 

Moving into something a little deeper and heavier, an odd duck of a Manhattan variation, braced by juniper and tiki spice.

Sharpie Mustache

3/4 oz Beefeater (or similar London dry gin)
3/4 oz Rittenhouse (or similar bonded rye)                                                                                                                                        
3/4 oz Bonal
3/4 oz Meletti
2 dashes Bittermens Tiki bitters

orange peel

Stir in mixing glass with ice; strain into chilled rocks glass (no ice!); express orange peel and drop in

[water break]

Closing with a sweet sipper. Take your time and see how the pear flavors shift around as it warms.

Vieux Anjou

1 oz pear brandy
1 oz bourbon
3/4 oz Bonal
1/4 oz green Chartreuse
barspoon (1/8 oz) pimento dram

Stir in mixing glass with ice; strain into chilled rocks glass (no ice!)