Hey can I use Grand Marnier in a Pegu Club? Or is it too far away from Curaçao?

Pegu Club is a weird one to balance, but if you just think of it as a gin margarita and tailor to your tastes....

That said, the gin alone can make a huge difference. I wound up with a bottle of Brockman's gin from a friend who bought it and hated it (very berry forward, not much botanicals coming through), and I immediately thought it would shine in a sour. So it's now my house standard, when I bother to have it in, for anything with lemon or lime.

Anyway, with Grand Marnier, you may want to dial that component back, or another couple drops of Ango, or add some orange bitters. Always fun to play with all the things!

A gin margarita would be more a cointreau thing then. (I have that too...) 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

Is the rhubarb gin from Whitley Neil? 

Whoa, this stuff is really awful. Weird smell and why is it sweet?! This one's going down the drain, sorry.  

Is the rhubarb gin from Whitley Neil? 

Whoa, this stuff is really awful. Weird smell and why is it sweet?! This one's going down the drain, sorry.  

Yep. I didn't want to say anything but I tried the whole line (they were doing a tasting at one of the local liquor stores) and found them fairly nasty. I had to call up all of my diplomacy skills as I talked with the company rep.

It makes a difference that you mean 1856.

My stock response is that, owing to the technological limitations of that time, even food that was by their standards mass-produced was what we'd consider "artisanal".

Greenpoint:

2 oz. Rye

1/2 oz. sweet Vermouth

1/2 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 dash orange bitters

Stir (duh)

This is seriously good.

(Readers of my newsletter won't hear about this marvelous cocktail till tomorrow.)

I pretty much like ALL of these Manhattan variants; different from each other, yet always that nice rye spice.

What's everyone else's favorite of these, sticking with rye?

Classic Manhattan

Perfect Manhattan

Dry Manhattan

Little Italy

Greenpoint

Brooklyn

Red Hook

The Slope

Black Manhattan

Bensonhurst

Toronto

Way too much time...

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I pretty much like ALL of these Manhattan variants; different from each other, yet always that nice rye spice.

What's everyone else's favorite of these, sticking with rye?

Classic Manhattan

Perfect Manhattan

Dry Manhattan

Little Italy

Greenpoint

Brooklyn

Red Hook

The Slope

Black Manhattan

Bensonhurst

Toronto

Way too much time...

Don't forget Newark. (Though I guess that eschews rye for applejack, so maybe less of a draw for you.)

I'm particularly fond of Little Italy, Brooklyn, The Slope, and Greenpoint beyond the standard. And oh right... the Black Market Manhattan, and I just remembered I still have some Market Spice Cinnamon Orange tea that I can infuse into some vermouth! Excellent for a rainy day.

• Like 1