• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

I hopped on the Corpse Revivor bandwagon. Don't shame me but it was the first time I made them at home. I admittedly had to go to the liquor store to buy Lillet.  It was a big hit..... Definitely more

Today, when I toasted my wife on the 15th anniversary of her death, I couldn't escape the bald fact that I was really in the mood for a Corpse Reviver #2. I WISH it were called something else.

Posted Images

It's always nice to come across a cocktail you would never ever ever think of yourself, and the Royal Smile is one (really, who thought to combine this stuff?).  I see Bloviatrix recently had one; I don't know if she got it from one of my recent newsletters  or if we're all discovering it simultaneously, but it really is just lovely (the apple and the pomegranate play off each other beautifully, which is expected:  it's the Gin and the lime I wouldn't have thought to add).

1 oz. Gin

3/4 oz. Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy

3/4 oz. Grenadine

3/4 oz. lime juice

Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe (I used a Nick and Nora glass cuz it seemed like something called a "Royal Smile" should get a classy vessel).

I did, indeed, get it from you. Which is why I didn't share the recipe.

Was thinking of making a Full Windsor over the weekend, but ended up drinking wine instead.

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It's always nice to come across a cocktail you would never ever ever think of yourself, and the Royal Smile is one (really, who thought to combine this stuff?).  I see Bloviatrix recently had one; I don't know if she got it from one of my recent newsletters  or if we're all discovering it simultaneously, but it really is just lovely (the apple and the pomegranate play off each other beautifully, which is expected:  it's the Gin and the lime I wouldn't have thought to add).

1 oz. Gin

3/4 oz. Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy

3/4 oz. Grenadine

3/4 oz. lime juice

Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe (I used a Nick and Nora glass cuz it seemed like something called a "Royal Smile" should get a classy vessel).

It was really nice, even using plain old Applejack rather than the fancy Bonded Brandy.

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

That's kind of my point.  Did you ever drink a Jack Rose and think, this ought to have GIN in it?

Well no, I never did. And yes, it's certainly only a half-step away from a Pink Lady. It's interesting that there are a few drinks that modify gin with a bit of applejack -- Angel Face, Warday's (one of my all-time favorites), Pink Lady, Star Daisy, Royal Smile... Harry Craddock seemed to have a thing for that combo of base spirits.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

That does look nice. Have I got any apple brandy or Calvados? No.

LOVE Calvados, and also stock Pommeau for times a lighter hand is indicated.    Both, to use the loathsome word, delicious.