• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

A cocktail worthy of having given its name to most important bar of our time, the Pegu Club: Pour 2 oz. Gin (Monkey 47!) and 3/4 oz. each of Curaçao and lime juice, with 1 dash each of Angostura

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I remember that - wasn't the conclusion that lime was improved with a few hours? 

Yeah - I'm pretty sure you're right. It had something like a window of four to eight hours, maybe?

The overwhelming favorite was the hand-squeezed lime juice that was 4 hours old. The distant second place was 4 hour old machine pressed juice.  Almost no one chose the fresh hand squeezed juice.  Before I revealed what the samples were, I asked those who chose the 4-hour hand-pressed juice to choose a second favorite.  They all chose the 4-hour machine juice. I was flabbergasted, and so was the audience.

Rabbit hole...

https://cookingissues.com/2010/10/01/fresh-lime-juice-wtf/

I felt like something with Tequila for a nightcap -- but still a nightcap.

21st Century (except I only had dark Crème de Cacao, so I guess you'd call this a Nasty 21st Century) (actually I thought it was rather lovely)

2 oz. Blanco Tequila

3/4 oz. white Crème de Cacao (except here tonight, dark)

3/4 oz. lemon juice

Rinse of Absinthe

Rinse a chilled cocktail glass with Absinthe.  Shake the other ingredients in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Strain into the rinsed glass.  No garnish.

OOPS.  Owing to measuring error, I made two.  What am I going to do?

On 6/6/2020 at 2:13 PM, plattetude said:

Okay, here we go, conceived as a Negroni-esque riff (name still tbd):

1 1/2 oz gin (ginny gin, pls; I did Junipero; Beefeater works well too)

1 oz Suze

1/2 oz Cappelletti Apertivo

Combine in mixing glass with ice; stir; strain into coupe. (Also works on a rock, but me, I like keeping the dilution level constant with Negronis and the like.)

Oh wait I never did this.  On it!  (Monkey 47!)

On 5/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, Sneakeater said:

Oh wait I never did this.  On it!  (Monkey 47!)

Timely reminder! I just restocked Cappelletti! (And soon need to restock Suze...)

This weekend, first night out, like, really out, in a long time (as noted in the Micromanage thread). Ended the evening at Dutch Kills, where my wife and I indulged in:

JICNHv7ru9is9HNBwjSaIcITj1jYmsk9vEv3Lklxu-qFXNmvykuU0rVtVWt1UIH7eM16PBsFZzKIqCvgW95a8FV54voBpm18WgGEaHLo2N6WCvstE_aboG8x0PyHOlwvh9wpislUjRcOZNl0kysLy553B4h5t1mcXs7rhN2DwaCn5kMi50Mcj9RwEQ8VOW1vO2xMd8PmPVGF6O8eUkbNB1a6QxrmV29H9Lf2QJmOcasQTOZSCOoWOLinjxclp1Q5rJVExrd1bg1Z0I6Y-o3g5Oejs8knLQhBR8OYMVwtt2J4yQeLHV8dgJyNKjupNiuSCW_Al6z3lEZ49DrMG22EyNRVMQnN8s5pUrud5lhhKBYAz0S6RQycwrorgIJ30fMaS_CNIcgnxes6aJ0boZJa2o3gJowQCdr8aFBvFndSt_22zmAjFYZEGnA4SKU6r9o_IBKnFO22ipUr08nbkwfGHF5hKr9bUTaHGFZ88DlDd4rGnStkKDTsu4TJF8e7y8mooJkroKaVlY5KtZBbYrDovHwk-aNvHLmO_ZiNUBSAbYqcpAFZ35vtsBy-WjYk3w0o2iS4NnoUmCscOVhenQ5B0Q_CdV8bjFeT7Tu50AQF3Op__v-Z6XyFNITAUtfyTGkZc2bgq4NyB4BqrF_3fSvE4WyqK6zRmFRbbHSm3OdzXhNoLRhtDx2S3bXVM0cf-K-8JjU_Ah-9DUwoHcxa3Q1Rt5CL=w1665-h1248-no?authuser=0

her: Bronco Buster (applejack, rye, curacao, lemon on a rock)
him: Mississippi Punch (bourbon, cognac, blackstrap rum, lemon, sugar on pebble ice)

1T2l8Smtl9HhEVDOUKcxq0oIb2AC3i2OhlJwFzyGFZi-nUiPC-AqqwRjFwOs7HChHru7_hzV0JI2xqCYr0iW6RuiK6ZwKqKkcBzGVhhsoxa03RizagaHuI0n4fxS3T2qHPnrVzFC4fshUMCHNyTZrOJYWkODFhj3Ouo0DYSLGEdlKYm-R2q2X_N0f4tlU6iENvYHPOqvH2pyHZQJ79g5hGWVbNSRXj4L41ccoMvCUH2SyxsQecgIhaoRVYTyC38Tt6hh5YCRFmTAsUIvo2WRTqkgLIkYM6nBpeI3LRyCkBuLbdZQr4kgeWuK2VPUyHFqXRA7QBbg66lFYEd_YMnFA1lIF7EHptz7wKkaPesLbYhBcVCTrmolR7X0Ne0KJD73uVWWYxh79A3fad5Hv6AX6yW0reYdjVBjflgXxVugPaVX7Auz5jftiq1TaCstEZOGsncJy0NmwCw1Z3cVTUh5brUUE1UxJuJ80jaMZDczoPlvZMXwujmlIn8UIbLhU7g5KOVWPpUrvXYL4D-UjX0SiK8p3acqYLVa-0yIpHB7ThNY0Q_Y2Pmeg25OyBAOvWFE_WvoXz0OqJafj5D6CfsEy1wz2Hu1m8hdww6Kg1Wfk3A6RfnZbZete78YJFYUELJq3PY2F-DSXe88UEIcCdGuOEhCWw9BdE4Q5PwD__2zpZZoUz2kmPp5usdw76ppgSHBi57WsHOZAKj6Z9tkac47MpMA=w937-h1248-no?authuser=0

her: Cobble Hill
him: Fort Lauderdale (featuring their housemade orgeat)

Our server brought us a round of Milky Way shots with the check <hic>. Which were not any kind of Milky Way shot you'd find in a frat house. No idea what they were but seemed to be a medium-bitter amaro with a hint of creme de cacao. 

Frozen strawberry daiquiri with homegrown strawberries.  N found a recipe for a "1919" version, which includes a few dashes of Peychaud's.  A celebratory drink for (a) getting through a chorus recording session, and (b) a first screening interview for me tomorrow for a potential dream job.

• Like 1

Spring Shower. 2 oz Dorothy Parker American Gin, 1/4 oz Campari, 3/4 oz each rhubarb syrup and lemon juice, dash of Angostura bitters, chilled club soda 

This is a riff on the Bridal Shower, which calls for vodka. Chose the gin because it includes hibiscus in the infusion which pairs well with rhubarb.

IMG_0758.jpeg

I have been charged with bringing our stash of Laird's Applejack to a friend's small dinner party tomorrow (us + her + her husband) so that she can taste a Royal Smile before committing to a whole bottle.

3 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I have been charged with bringing our stash of Laird's Applejack ... so that she can taste a Royal Smile before committing to a whole bottle.

Sounds like a very reasonable plan.

58 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I have been charged with bringing our stash of Laird's Applejack to a friend's small dinner party tomorrow (us + her + her husband) so that she can taste a Royal Smile before committing to a whole bottle.

Are you going where I think you're going?

Kantan Kooler. Torch ginger flower syrup, vodka, lemon juice, lime juice, seltzer. Trying to find some uses for the five giant torch ginger flowers in my freezer, left over from my Adventures in Assam Laksa (some of which is also in the freezer).