10 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Pegu Club. I was reading the Cocktail Codex over the weekend where I learned that you can use Cointreau in place of Curacao.

Yeah, aren't they kind of the same thing?  With Cointreau being the fancier version?

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Since I needed to use up some avocados, I decided to make guacamole. That led to the decision there should be a margarita with the lime cordial, instead of a gimlet. Which led me to one of the better

Posted Images

Yeah, curacao is all over the map, even within the purported style. For me, Pierre Ferrand Curacao has become my standard for everything calling for curacao/triple sec. Feels more balanced and integrates well into all directions of cocktails, from Pegu Club to Margarita to Mai Tai to Fancy Free. Grand Marnier feels too heavy for cocktails, and Cointreau, well, I dunno, I've come to feel like PF Curacao just feels *right.*

I will say outright that Gran Gala is far sweeter than every other premium orange liqueur I've ever had. 

All that said, definitely feels like it's worthy of a side-by-side of Cointreau and Ferrand to better understand the differences. (And reminds me I need to get a bottle of Clement Creole Shrubb to add to the mix.)

27 minutes ago, plattetude said:

Yeah, curacao is all over the map, even within the purported style. For me, Pierre Ferrand Curacao has become my standard for everything calling for curacao/triple sec. Feels more balanced and integrates well into all directions of cocktails, from Pegu Club to Margarita to Mai Tai to Fancy Free. Grand Marnier feels too heavy for cocktails, and Cointreau, well, I dunno, I've come to feel like PF Curacao just feels *right.*

Yeah, the Pierre Ferrand Dry is pretty great.  

And the Grand Marnier for sure is just a whole different animal. Delicious in its own right, but different.

On The Importance Of Bitters In Cocktails

I made an Argentina a couple of weeks ago.  First go-round, I just forgot to add the bitters called for by the recipe.  Just forgot.  It was pleasant but insipid.  Wondering why the cocktail wasn't as good as I expected, I realized what I'd done. 

I made another one with the bitters.  BIG difference.  The flavors were thrown into relief, and there as a piquant bite at the end.

Lesson learned.  (I mean, I knew it.  But it was interesting to have it pounded into my head.  Or onto my tongue.  Or something.)

Argentina

1 oz. Gin

1 oz. dry Vermouth

1/4 oz. Bénédictine

1/4 oz. Cointreau

1 dash of Angostura bitters

1 dash of orange bitters

Combine.  Stir.  (Don’t leave out the bitters.)

The Kentucky Buck, from the book Drinking the Devil's Acre (and developed at Rickhouse here in SF):

2 strawberries; 1 sliced for garnish
2 oz. bourbon
3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup (the book has its own fancy "Cocktail Syrup" recipe)

2 dashes aromatic bitters (I used Angostura)
2 oz. ginger beer
Lemon wheel for garnish

Muddle the whole strawberries in a mixing glass, then pour in the bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters. Shake briefly, then fine strain into a highball glass over ice while simultaneously pouring in the ginger beer. Garnish with the lemon wheel and sliced strawberry.

• Like 1

Badminton Cup. Another cocktail meant for a hot, steamy night. First tried it at Grayz on 2007 - this is my version.

2 oz gin
1 oz lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
5 slices of cucumber
8 mint leaves
Seltzer to top
Muddle lime juice, simple syrup, mint, and cucumber slices. Add gin and shake well over ice. Strain into a collins glass and top with seltzer.

IMG_0898.jpeg

• Like 1