Had a Monkey Gland last night.  I think that might be the single best-tasting cocktail there is.

Tonight is July 4.  Can't have a Gin cocktail -- with a base liquor invented in the Netherlands and perfected in England -- on July 4.  No, a rye cocktail.  So a Ward Eight,

I hate to say anything good about anything that comes out of Boston.  But that is one tasty cocktail.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Since I needed to use up some avocados, I decided to make guacamole. That led to the decision there should be a margarita with the lime cordial, instead of a gimlet. Which led me to one of the better

Posted Images

On 7/4/2021 at 11:03 PM, Sneakeater said:

Had a Monkey Gland last night.  I think that might be the single best-tasting cocktail there is.

Tonight is July 4.  Can't have a Gin cocktail -- with a base liquor invented in the Netherlands and perfected in England -- on July 4.  No, a rye cocktail.  So a Ward Eight,

I hate to say anything good about anything that comes out of Boston.  But that is one tasty cocktail.

Have you tried a Monkey Gland with tequila (which I know isn't technically a Monkey Gland at that point, but it doesn't have its own name)? I think it feels way more integrated than a Monkey Gland, which I feel is super sensitive to what gin you use. 

1 minute ago, Sneakeater said:

It’s its gland!

Yes. I did get that part of it.

But it also has the benefit of being particularly well-suited for this cocktail. BUT SO IS TEQUILA!

Over the weekend I received a box with some new sodas that are being launched for the purpose of sampling and creating some cocktails. After thinking about flavor profile, I settled on using the recipe for the Black Manhattan as my guide and playing around a bit. Here is the Black Oasis.

1.5 oz rye, .75 oz Amaro Abano, .5 oz Benedictine, dash of Angostura and a dash of Orange bitters. Stirred on ice and soda to top

IMG_1064.jpeg

With sodas like that (appearing to be heavily flavored), I'd think highballs would be just fine.

They can't really be marketing them to use in real cocktails, can they?

On 7/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, Sneakeater said:

Anybody tried that new "Distiller's Cola" mixer Fever Tree has come out with?

Is it new, or just new in the US? I could have sworn I had it in Munich a while back. If so, it was very good. 

eta: Looking online, I must have had the "Madagascan cola", but it seems to be only available in EU(?) Not sure what the difference is. 

I just impulse-bought some locally made pineapple rum to take back. I have velvet falernum at home. Assuming the bottle makes it in once piece, any ideas? (A premium rum & coke is an obvious one I guess...)