8 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

I just impulse-bought some locally made pineapple rum to take back. I have velvet falernum at home. Assuming the bottle makes it in once piece, any ideas? (A premium rum & coke is an obvious one I guess...) 

I would do a spirit-forward Jungle Bird, a la The Jungle Bird's Jungle Bird.

Punch.com has a handful of suggestions too.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

A cocktail worthy of having given its name to most important bar of our time, the Pegu Club: Pour 2 oz. Gin (Monkey 47!) and 3/4 oz. each of Curaçao and lime juice, with 1 dash each of Angostura

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Posted Images

Finally made a Jungle Bird. A friend clued me in to the small cans of pineapple juice they sell at Trader Joe's which is what was holding me back.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally bought a bottle of Creme de Violette and made myself an Aviation, which was simply lovely. 

First time I ever had an Aviation was at Pegu Club - many, many, many years ago.

Aviation was my gateway cocktail, first sipped in the late 90s at Grange Hall courtesy of Del Pedro. I spent the better part of six months trying to find maraschino liqueur. And wound up with Stock for all that effort. Ahh, the early days.

• Like 1
Cherry Blossom

3 cherries, pitted (DeGroff suggests trying different varieties. I had sours in my fridge)
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz Cherry Heering
1.5 oz cognac
.75 oz lemon juice

Muddle cherries with the two liqueurs. Add cognac, lemon juice and ice and shake well. Pour into a chilled coupe and garnish with a cherry.

IMG_1140.jpeg

On 7/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, bloviatrix said:

Finally made a Jungle Bird. A friend clued me in to the small cans of pineapple juice they sell at Trader Joe's which is what was holding me back.

This was really, really good.  We don't find too many recipes that specifically call for blackstrap rum (we have the Cruzan brand).  The Campari helps to cut the sweetness.