5 hours ago, plattetude said:

Don't forget Newark. (Though I guess that eschews rye for applejack, so maybe less of a draw for you.)

I'm particularly fond of Little Italy, Brooklyn, The Slope, and Greenpoint beyond the standard. And oh right... the Black Market Manhattan, and I just remembered I still have some Market Spice Cinnamon Orange tea that I can infuse into some vermouth! Excellent for a rainy day.

The first Little Italy I had blew me away for sure.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

I've grown tired of Negronis, so I moved on to the celery tonic, which has the additional advantage of helping me use up celery. My liquor collection is tiny, although it's now about three times bigger than it was in the before-times, not least because I bought my very first bottle of bitters today!  And now I've become like those Instagram friends of mine who are SUPER JAZZED about baking their own bread, something I've been doing as a matter of course for years.

I have not! The warm weather is making me not want brown spirits, but I should probably get some anyway, in case the mood strikes. I wish I had the space for more bottles - they're taking over the counter, and all the cabinets are already occupied.

Pre-dinner cocktail; recipe courtesy of Illy Coffee:
25 mL espresso
10 mL simple syrup
10 mL coffee liqueur (same homemade one that we used for the Revolver)
20 mL unflavored vodka
Combine and serve over ice.

San Martin (really good with Monkey 47).  Big in South America in the early-mid 20th C.

1-1/2 oz. Gin

1-1/2 oz. sweet Vermouth

1 teaspoon Yellow Chartreuse

Stir.  Garnish with lemon peel.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, bloviatrix said:

Tonight's cocktail was a revolver - bourbon, coffee liqueur, orange bitters.

Speaking of bitters, if you were a bottle of grapefruit bitters that lived in my apartment, where would you hide?

I know you've all been on tenterhooks waiting for the news but the bitters have been found! As well as a bottle of rum that neither of us bought, a massive bottle of Gray Goose (again -- who bought that? we don't drink vodka), and an unopened bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (which I must have stashed away before Passover some years ago).

3 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

a colleague considered firing a bar mitzvah caterer like a month out over whether a wine barrel aged scotch was or was not kosher.

There are differing opinions about whether scotch aged in wine barrels is acceptable. It's hard to find a kosher caterer (one with an orthodox certification) who will agree to serve it.