• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

Whiskey Smash. As much as I love trying new things, I have my handful of cocktails that never disappoint. This is one of them.

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Posted Images

Here's a great piece by David Wondrich, about the Martini.

At 2-1 (30 percent), the way Martinis were commonly made from the 1910s through World War II, and 3-1 (32 percent), there’s still enough vermouth in there to do what vermouth does, but the claws are in plain sight, if relaxed. As long as your gin is a classic London dry style—junipery and crisp, not muddy with excess botanicals—and your vermouth French and old-school (Noilly Prat; Dolin dry), this is within micrometer range of perfection, particularly if you tip in a couple dashes of good orange bitters (such as the Bitter Truth’s or the 50-50 mix of Fee’s and Regans’ favored by many modern bartenders) and twist a thin-cut swatch of lemon peel over the top.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-secrets-to-the-best-dry-martini-youll-ever-have?ref=scroll

• Thanks 1

Interesting that the Martinez recipe in Drinking the Devil's Acre calls for sweet vermouth rather than dry.  Well, I did use a dry gin from Ireland and Regan's bitters at least.

13 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Not a cocktail but I added some Ancho Reyes Chile liqueur to hot cocoa which added a nice bit of heat.

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

To me, that’s like the only use of Ancho Reyes I really like (but I REALLY like it). 

That would be an interesting addition when making chocolate ice cream or pot de crème.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I must be the only one making cocktails anymore.  For another crummy day, here's the Twelve-Mile Cocktail, courtesy of Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails:

• 1 ounce white rum
  • 1/2 ounce rye
  • 1/2 ounce brandy
  • 1/2 ounce real pomegranate grenadine
  • 1/2 ounce lemon juice

Shake over ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon peel.

8 hours ago, small h said:

Same. I make martinis and Negronis frequently, but nothing new for a while.

Martini

Negroni

Last Word

Martinez

Hanky Panky

Manhattan

Boulevardier

Final Ward

(Some of these drinks are a lot like the other ones...)