I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon.

• 1 1/2 oz. gin
  • 3/4 oz. Lillet blanc
  • 1/2 oz. light creme de cacao
  • 3/4 oz. lemon juice

Shake over ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

I need better supervision. 

When I go to bars like yours I spend so much time emphasizing that I want a detectable amount of Vermouth in my Martini that they’d never dare ask if I wanted it Dirty. 

Posted Images

Now that I finally have Benedictine, I can make a Vieux Carre:

• 1 oz. rye
  • 1 oz. cognac
  • 1 oz. sweet vermouth
  • 1/2 tsp. Benedictine
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
  • 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Shake and strain into a rocks glass over ice.  Garnish with a lemon peel.

• Like 1

A drink that has no name (yet): scotch, dry vermouth, rosemary syrup and lime. Maybe going to call it the Rich Strike, because I made it to watch the Derby. This is what happens when you know you should be drinking a julep, but you have neither bourbon nor mint.

8B8001E6-B3B0-495A-B31F-DFF89917B3DD.jpeg

Some curiosities last couple of nights. Word Up, where creme de menthe replaces the green chartreuse in a Last Word; Bel-Aire (gin, sweet vermouth, dash of curacao); Emerald Isle, basically a martini with creme de menthe instead of vermouth, dash of bitters; Hoover (dark rum, sweet vermouth, curacao).

It was good. Recipe calls for equal parts rum and vermouth, dash of curaçao, but I would have gone heavy on the rum because that’s just me.

Not sure this belongs in the Cocktails or Wine thread, but N made May Wine yesterday: essentially, it's a combination of sparkling wine (prosecco in our case) and woodruff syrup, garnished with a strawberry.  N has been growing woodruff in the garden, so she made her own syrup.  A Berliner weisse is next, if we can get the proper beer.

I managed to find a recipe for @Wilfrid's Hoover calling for 1 part Rum and 1/2 part each of sweet Vermouth and Curaçao -- pretty much what I'd vary it to myself in any event.  So I was happy to follow it.

And very nice it is, too.

I don't really have a good feel for when you use Cointreau and when you use Curaçao.  Any guidance?

(My apologies if we've already covered this.  If something isn't right in front of me, I can no longer remember it -- unless it happened in grade school.)