• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

Today, when I toasted my wife on the 15th anniversary of her death, I couldn't escape the bald fact that I was really in the mood for a Corpse Reviver #2. I WISH it were called something else.

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

Posted Images

Some cocktails have recipes that call for you to express the peel and discard.  Other cocktails have recipes that call for you to express the peel and toss it in.

I usually toss it in in both cases cuz I was raised by my mother.  

No, not claiming you have to make it a particular way, but that's the way I've encountered most often (and the way I make them at home), so for me, a martini does indeed have three ingredients. And that's not even counting the olive, which, if you're me, you have to include, no question.

I did not know this was a rule. I thought certain garnishes (i.e., a cherry in a Manhattan) were pretty much de rigueur, and hence, an ingredient.

If you don't count garnishes, the Gibson and the Mint Julep only have two ingredients.

As do the Gimlet, the Stinger and the Pink Gin. And there are more if one acknowledges the recipes where bitters are optional.

I am voting against the three ingredient rule.

Just now, small h said:

I did not know this was a rule. I thought certain garnishes (i.e., a cherry in a Manhattan) were pretty much de rigueur, and hence, an ingredient.

I have had bartenders ask me if I'd like a cherry in my Manhattan. They never ask me if I want sweet vermouth.

1 minute ago, small h said:

Well, they should. I'd like the option of dry.

If you want it made differently than the standard recipe, I think it's your job to specify. I don't want bartenders asking me if I want sweet or dry vermouth in my Negroni.