This is a new one for me. At the bar at the Colonial Hotel in Pine Hill, NY on Saturday, a gentleman bought a round of mini beers for everyone. It's a shot of Licor 43 with a heavy cream float. Did not hate, but also would not order for myself.

IMG_2972.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

Whiskey Smash. As much as I love trying new things, I have my handful of cocktails that never disappoint. This is one of them.

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Posted Images

Cuban Liberal

This is a variation on a Liberal Cocktail.  I've seen it called a riff on the El Presidente, but come on:  look at a Liberal, look at an El Presidente, look at this, and then look at what this is fucking called, and you tell me.

1-1/2 oz. white Rum*

1 oz. sweet Vermouth

1 tsp. Amer Picon (faute de mieux, I used Golden Moon Amer dit Picon)

Stir over ice.  Strain into chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with an orange twist (didn't).

* I had almost exactly 1-1/2 oz. of white Rum left in my open bottle.  I love when that happens.

• Like 1

The Jasmine has become part of my regular rotation. You do need to be careful measuring the Campari and Cointreau, because if you get too much of one --  especially the former -- it does tend to take over.

The Shingle Splitter:

• 1 oz. well-aged rum
  • 3/4 oz. lightly aged rum (preferably from Martinique if you have)
  • 1/2 oz. lime juice
  • 1/2 oz. grenadine
  • 1/4 oz. allspice dram (homemade in our case)
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with ice and serve in an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with mint.

That drink was for our dinner guest last night.  N got a Hendrick's G&T and I got a Hendrick's martini.  (Guest is not a gin fan.)

On 7/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, Wilfrid said:

The Jasmine has become part of my regular rotation. You do need to be careful measuring the Campari and Cointreau, because if you get too much of one --  especially the former -- it does tend to take over.

A great drink - introduced to me by Kenta at the late, lamented Pegu Club many years ago.

It's also a wonderful intro to Campari, for those who think they really don't like it (remember Audrey's Intro to Aperol as well?)

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

A great drink - introduced to me by Kenta at the late, lamented Pegu Club many years ago.

It's also a wonderful intro to Campari, for those who think they really don't like it (remember Audrey's Intro to Aperol as well?)

I batched them for my wife's 30th to great success.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

It’s in the same ballpark as the Pegu, right? 

I’d say the absence of anything like Campari in a Pegu — just a couple of dashes of bitters — makes it a materially different drink.

Otherwise a Martinez would be in the same ballpark as a Negroni. 

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

However, both are pretty darn good to serve to people who pretend they don't like gin.

I always tell people who say they don't like gin it's because they've never tasted GOOD gin.

• Like 1

What commonly used Gins do you think are “bad”?  I would think most people would have tasted Gins like Gordon’s, which is fine, or Beefeater, which is close to excellent.  

The bad stuff tastes like cheap perfume. Gordon's is definitely there. I seem to recall Gilbey's being unpleasant as well. (it's the stuff you would have encountered in college. For whatever reason gin leaves more of an unpleasant memory than other cheap, crappy spirits.)

• Like 1