• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

I need better supervision. 

About $15?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I'm not sure I understand that.  Just because a spirit is distilled from sugar cane doesn't mean it's sweet.

Indeed.  The Barbados rum we have isn't sweet at all.

The Goldie, courtesy of the book Eat Something.  Made in honor of one of the author's grandmothers, who had a prune-soaked gin every morning.

In a 1-quart glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix 1 cup gin, 8 oz. pitted prunes, and the grated zest of 1 lemon.  Store in the refrigerator between 2 weeks and 2 months.  To make the cocktail, mix equal parts prune-infused gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari over large ice cubes in a rocks glass. Garnish with a strip of orange peel and one of the boozy prunes.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:01 PM, Sneakeater said:

I'm not sure I understand that.  Just because a spirit is distilled from sugar cane doesn't mean it's sweet.

Agreed. On the one hand I am not trying to elevate my sugar intake, and on completely the other hand I don’t much like sweet cocktails. Why do I need the Capairinha to be sweet? I will play around with this.

I used a decent amount of tonight's wine in making the sauce for my dinner dish.

So I had room left for a Gin & Tonic afterwards.

It's hard to believe that this perfect Summer sipper (sip hell it's a gulper) didn't always exist.  Somebody had to invent it at some point.

I wish I could have been there.

14 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Oh I love prunes. Tempted by this.

I forgot to mention that the 1:1:1 ratio makes for a sweet drink, so adjust the vermouth and Campari accordingly if you want it to be less sweet.

• Like 1

I note this passage from an article entltled "The Caiparinha Has Been Here All Along" by Stephen Palmach, published in Punch:

Much of the Caipirinha’s survival and celebration in contemporary cocktail circles is owed to the simplicity of its foundation, which is akin to its Caribbean cousins the Daiquiri and Ti’ Punch, consisting of the holy trinity of lime, sugar and spirit.

OF COURSE sugar is required.

So I had dinner tonight in what turned out, to my taste, to be a highly overrated Kilo in Astoria.

Of course, they had no license.  So, for my Caiparinha -- and don't think I wasn't thinking of it throughout dinner (although not as much as I would have been if the temperature hadn't finally dropped) -- I was left to my own devices at home afterwards.

Fortunately, making a plausible Caiparinha is easy as pie.

Caiparinha

1/2 lime, cut into 6 pieces

2 tsp. sugar

2 oz. Cachaça

Muddle the sugar and the lime at the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass.  Pour in the Cachaça.  Add ice.  Stir.