• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a local crafts fair today and scored 3 vintage coupe glasses for $9 total.  So we enjoyed a Twentieth Century in them in the backyard this afternoon. 1 1/2 oz. gin 3/4 oz. Lil

I need better supervision. 

Tonight, Vieux Carré.

Posted Images

The Lucien Gaudin cocktail, named after a French Olympics fencing champion from the 1920s:

1 oz. gin
1/2 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. dry vermouth

Stir in a mixing glass with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.

That most sheerly delicious of all cocktails, the Corpse Reviver No. 2.  (The idea of using this a hangover cure strikes me as ludicrous  -- but I guess I'm a lightweight.)

I won't insult you by giving you a recipe.

OK, quickly:  equal parts Gin, Kina l'Aero d'Or, Cointreau, and lemon juice.  Shake.  Strain into a cocktail glass rinsed with Absinthe.

Garnish with an orange twist or a cocktail cherry.  Or as I did tonight, a cocktail cherry and a lemon twist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 7:49 PM, Sneakeater said:

JUST what I was in the mood for:

Satan's Whiskers

3/4 oz. Gin

3/4 oz. Grand Marnier (or, in my case, Royal Combier)

3/4 oz. Dry Vermouth

3/4 oz. Sweet Vermouth

3/4 oz. orange juice

2 dashes orange bitters

Shake in an ice-filled cocktail shaker, strain into chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

I made a slightly different version of this just now, with 1/2 oz. each of the gin, both vermouths, and OJ, 2 tsp. of Grand Marnier, and a full teaspoon of orange bitters (Regan's, in this case).

I just invented the Dr Henderson martini.

The Dr Henderson in its original form is a hangover cure promoted by Fergus of that ilk. It’s simply equal parts of Fernet Branca and Creme de Menthe served chilled.

I do like Fernet, and while I don’t much like Creme de Menthe itself, it does complement the Fernet. But I rarely need, or find it wise, to start the day with a cocktail.

So I have brought it into the evening rotation, essentially as a Last Word but with these two ingredients subbed for Maraschino and Chartreuse. They need to be added to the gin in equal parts, but the ratio to gin depends, I suppose, on how wet you like your martini.

As usual, I discounsel addition of lime juice, but given the drinks greenish color, a lime slice garnish is appropriate. 

On 12/8/2022 at 9:54 PM, StephanieL said:

The Lucien Gaudin cocktail, named after a French Olympics fencing champion from the 1920s:

1 oz. gin
1/2 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. dry vermouth

Stir in a mixing glass with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.

I am going to try this next. Along the lines of a Jasmine with vermouth instead of lemon juice.

The book I got this recipe from was very specific regarding brands of alcohol to use.  It was pretty good using what I had on hand.

Alexandre

• 2 oz. rye (Rittenhouse)
  • 1/2 oz. sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica)
  • 1/8 oz. Benedictine
  • 1/8 oz. creme de cacao
  • 2 dashes orange bitters (Regan's)

Shake and strain into a chilled coupe glass.  Garnish with a strip of orange peel.

My very strong feeling about that kind of specificity in cocktail recipes is that that kind of exactitude in the selection of ingredients is one of the reasons we go out and pay for cocktails at Serious Cocktail Bars.  But to expect people to have that range of stuff at home is asinine.