Ms. Hamilton Exactly How I've Felt About It For 15 years

4 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Eater decries a culture it helped create and actively perpetuates.

Fuck you.  Just fucking fucking fuck you.

But I do ache, if I may, for those sucked in and killed in the carnage.    So many well intended if naive people. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My situation was far from what is average. My job then involved lots of travel--where basically all my expenses were covered for 28 + weeks of the year while I was traveling. Health insurance was part

I love making my own morning coffee. We have no credit card debt. Our rent is cheap. We have a stash. Baby boomer indeed.

#notallboomers

Yeah, and Eater has blood on its hands.  I feel horrible for her.  I just don't want to see crocodile tears from her murderers.

Was there a syllable of reflection in that piece about how outlets like Eater contribute to this situation?

your critique applies to eater but not to mayukh sen, who is a thoughtful writer and not an eater staffer.

(i would suggest that you read between the lines of the last three paragraphs.)

no, it doesn't. the fact that they commissioned him to write this piece--after his tweets etc. about her--suggest some self-consciousness on eater's part about the situation but there's probably a limit to what he could have said in his piece as a freelancer.

I don't know what sen tweeted before eater asked him to write this for them, but having read their stuff for years it's hard to give them any credit or think that they really believe what he is saying. I do think they feel better having given an opposing point of view some space on their site.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Yeah, and Eater has blood on its hands.  I feel horrible for her.  I just don't want to see crocodile tears from her murderers.

Was there a syllable of reflection in that piece about how outlets like Eater contribute to this situation?

There are many heartbreaking things about this story, including how many parts of the system utterly failed this family. Eater review culture ranks rather low on the list, for me at least. 

That is an awful story. 

But I don't like it serving as the basis of an article to make that point. 

I actually think that Eater has been pretty good on this front. Without self-celebration, they have celebrated places like The Grey, Kwame Onwuachi's restaurants (and publish his articles), they treat a large variety restaurants as being part of the Eater 38 (not as ghettoized ethnic curiosities, but as definitive and important restaurants in these cities) including on the America's essential restaurant list, they have criticized the Big Boy chefs during COVID, celebrated progressive restaurant policies and brought light to related issues (childcare being one), the Young Gunz lists are far from a group of cis-white-males (though with some self-celebration by Eater).

There are hypocrisies - some structural (the reliance on heavily funded PR campaigns for stories, for example) and some are blind spots of Sanders-supporting Jacobin readers. etc.. But, whatever the history, Eater seems at least conscious of the issues and not bad in this regard (on a relative scale).

But Daniel Humm does not have access to capital because he is a cis-white male, he has access to capital because he is one of the world's very best chefs and has built a successful restaurant. That he did so with massive structural advantages, through a system that makes it difficult for women and minorities to proceed to elite levels (like at law firms or investment banks), makes us all poorer both ethically and from a pure dining perspective, frankly. But Humm's identity is not why EMP gets publicity and cash and Nukkad did not. Sen gets to it obliquely, but the question of what would happen if Jesus Melendez had tried to obtain capital to start a restaurant is maybe a different and more troubling story.

There's another point lurking here, but the subject matter of the article makes it very hard to make, which is a big part of why I dislike the article itself. But to the extent that a portion of the argument rests on Kothari's food making a contribution to culinary discourse, I question whether that part holds, even if her food was very good (for example, here but maybe more importantly here undermine that premise).

These issues are important and Kothari's story heartbreaking, but I don't love the linkage of the two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so I'm clearly not the finance person on this board, but I listen and try to understand what seems to be a foreign language to me.  At any rate, on MSNBC this morning (Stephanie Ruhle's hour), Gabriel Stulman spent some time talking about the restaurant industry.  A lot of what he said made sense to me (like the idea that the restaurant industry should be separated out as a specific category, the way the airline industry has been, and specific measures taken to assist), but there were a couple of things that I really wondered about and worry that he (& probably others in his peer group) don't get (or don't want to get). 

The first was the federal PPP, which he wanted amended (no talk about him giving back anything even though he owns 9 places as CEO of a company and isn't exactly a "small" business compared to a lot of others).   A close paraphrase of what he said was that keeping his employees on for the 8 weeks while the restaurants were closed was not an effective use of the funds and that there were other things that would better keep these businesses solvent.   So... my question to youse financial guys is this: isn't he (intentionally?!) confusing the purpose of these specific funds, which I didn't think was to help businesses (his or others) in general, but to specifically keep folks on payroll (that's what the first "P" is for, right: "payroll"?).  Is this not the case?  What am I missing?  

The second thing I wondered about was his disclosure that most of his leases required a personal guarantee and that, if he wants out of any, he is personally responsible for paying the landlord for 3-6 months rent (depending on the lease he signed) and losing his security deposit.  He questioned this, saying "isn't it enough that the business goes bankrupt... should they be able to come after my house, etc too" (paraphrase).  I was left wondering why not, since those were the leases he signed.  Sure, he didn't foresee a pandemic & having all 9 closed, but the landlords (god help me, I'm not one to generally side with landlords) didn't foresee 9 bankrupt restaurants leaving vacant storefronts with no way to re-rent them either.  Given the restaurant industry's known insecurity in good times, wasn't this clause a good idea for the building owners and saying "let my personal wealth go untouched even though I personally guaranteed the rent" just passing the buck elsewhere?  Wasn't this lease entered into "eyes wide open"?  I mean, isn't it possible that at least a couple of the landlords are actually less wealthy and unable to absorb the loss, even in the West Village?  Maybe this would be a good time to sell shares in his places and reorganize (maybe at 25% on the dollar) to keep afloat and stop whining that he's the only one suffering?

I guess that I just think that some "celebrity chefs", like other "celebrity" categories (athletes, entertainers) seem to come off as very "entitled" & more worthy of protection than those without such amazing talent, who have to actually wait on the tables or work the box office.  Or, on the other side of life, more protection than the banks and landlords they worked with to hopefully make their fortunes.