Sign in to follow this  
Evelyn

Stocking the Bar For Cocktails

Made our 2nd trip to Total Wine in less than a week.  I think our liquor expenditures this month are going to be higher than our food expenditures.

Ooooh, the Japanese Cocktail is a favorite.

Here's another option, from a friend, for making a small batch of orgeat...

Ingredients

150 grams blanched almonds [or other nut]

1 blanched apricot kernel (optional)

250 ml water

200 grams table sugar

30 ml brandy

1-5 drops of orange flower water or rose flower water to taste (optional)

Process

1. Soak solids in ample water for 30 minutes
  2. Discard water and grind nuts in food processor to a medium-fine paste. Add water to processor towards the end
  3. Let mixture steep 1-2 hours
  4. Place a thin tea towel or several layers of cheese into a strainer and pour mixture through cloth, reserving liquid. Twist and squeeze solids in cloth to extract maximum liquid.
  5. (Optional) Return solids to liquids for an additional hour and repeat straining and squeezing.
  6. (Optional) Repeat one additional time.
  7. Add strained nut milk to saucepan with sugar and heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is disolved. Optionally, dissolve sugar in some percentage of the strained nut milk and then combine after the heated mixture has cooled sufficiently.
  8. Once sweetened nut milk has cooled sufficiently, add optional orange flower water, rose flower water or other flavoring; add brandy for stabilization and bottle.
  9. Keep under refrigeration

Also, Tempus Fugit Kina l'Aero d'Or might be even better as a contemporary Kina than Cocchi Americano (not that I'm kicking Cocchi Americano out -- or that I'd be happy having to choose between them) (I think Cocchi Americano still works better in drinks where you want a slightly softer feel, as in the Roy Howard I had a couple of nights ago) (but I'm chomping at the bit to have an Aero d'Or Vesper).

Finally drained my bottle of Green Chartreuse. My only regular use for it is in Last Words, and I don't use much, so that lasted a looooong time.