The boxer, trainer, cut man to the great champions, and for decades the owner of Jimmy's Corner, the best bar in the city and the most essential after McSorley's. 89, suffering from COVID since April.

I first drank in Jimmy's some thirty years ago, got to know Jimmy and his wife Swanee. I even took my daughter there as a toddler just to show her off to them.  My best recollection is that I last met him at an amateur boxing night at BB King's, so that was a while ago. I always thought this might be a funeral I'd have to attend one day, but I guess we don't even do funerals now.

It's hard to imagine the day getting worse.

(Note: I think I met Sneak for the first time in Jimmy's.)

I think the highlight of the week was seeing Jimmy Glenn, owner of the superb Jimmy's Corner bar on West 44th, deal with a difficult, stoned and fractious customer.  I can quote Nik Cohn on Jimmy from memory: "under threat, every muscle tenses."  The sweetest of men, Jimmy is a former heavyweight boxer, a long-time trainer, and cut man to world champions.  You don't want to argue with a man who trains professionals in the art of hitting someone really hard.  On this occasion, he simply loomed large and whispered "Don't be doing that here".  Exit the grumbling stoner.

I also made it back to Tribeca Grill for a straightforward and satisfying dinner of braised duck ravioli followed by a huge hunk of sirloin, black and blue.  Together with some cheese, this seems to have lined my stomach for a long night at Jimmy's Corner - an odd choice of bar, you might think, after dinner in Tribeca, but it seems from my diary I had visitors in tow and was bent on showing them the city's highlights.  Jimmy's Corner at three in the morning surely qualifies.

• 1 year later...

Wonderful news that the bar has re-opened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/after-covid-19-took-his-father-son-fights-to-keep-his-iconic-dive-bar-in-times-square-alive/2021/11/15/a15fc69c-3dc5-11ec-8ee9-4f14a26749d1_story.html

The sad part of it is that I didn't know until I read this article that Swannie had died in 2015. How would I know? If you walk into a bar and someone isn't serving you don't wonder if they're still alive.

This is bringing back floods of memories.

• Like 1

And also this seems timely for what you have been watching...

The bar, with its long, narrow corridor, attracted an eclectic cast that included Broadway stagehands as well as Finnish film director Aki Kaurismäki. 

Wow, how did I miss that? Reading too fast.

The Simpson Thacher Bartlett part of the story was unexpected. Their offices, across the street from Grand Central, are spectacular, but I never thought to say to one of the partners, "Hey, and you're only four blocks from Jimmy's."

• Like 1