The level of home protein cooking consumption I’m seeing on the MF threads make me sick. Really: your freezers are bursting, forcing you to cook more animal proteins so you can order more, to fill up your freezers again in advance of the (potentially) coming wave of supply chain breakdowns. I don’t understand this obsession with eating as much as possible on a day-to-day basis. JTF’s recent post about roasting a chicken to make a pot pie and using the bones for a stock is heartening – have to say, I’ve been doing that since like forever.

Some of you claim that home cooking is like “my stuff is so way much better than what I’d get in a restaurant – great that these previously lux items are available to us”. I laugh when I read those posts, b/c those same people were trumpeting how awesome certain restaurants were just several months before the crisis – and now they wonder why they spent all that ridiculous money at restaurants that apparently now serve no purpose. So laughable: You will never recreate at home the experience (or the quality) of a meal at a top-flight restaurant. To claim otherwise is, simply, laughable. Really, just stop with the boasting.

Have any of you thought about, like, eating a lot less? Many of you have kids, so ovs not an option. But for the single shut-in or the retired couple: why the big deal about stuffing your craw? There’s mosdef a political component to that, but also a health one: Here, we live simply. Our (eating) routines haven’t changed much: Lots of (admittedly, limited, i.e. no glacial whatever the fuck that thing is called) fresh vegetable continues to be available. We amp it with a bit of an animal protein, mostly pork (I recently roasted a shank to use in a sticky rice dish, e.g.). Bit of dairy here and there. Grains. Lots of grains. Just so you know: I had my wife bring back a big haul of RG beans when she was in DC in January. I’m making some tonight. So I’m hep to y’all.

I apologize for this rant. Really. But I’d be heartened to read less of the 0.1%-level sourcing, cooking, and photo-sharing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, shipping costs are inflating quantities of food ordered.    You order to get the most product/shipping.   Then if you want to vary your diet with another category, seafood vs meat for instance,

For many of us, working from home and not spending time on a commute means there's more time to cook and/or put an effort into the food we're eating. Plus, we're all spending more time posting on Mout

Is there anything more on brand for our median user than this when paired with posts walking through the micro green book at Regalis? 

Posted Images

It's hardly surprising to see what you are calling an obsession over sourcing, cooking and eating food on Mouthfuls.    This forum is, if you recall, a food forum.     Not too many hits when you post about astrophysics.     There is a lot of exemplary cooking on this site.    I, for one, am happy to look and learn from my betters.    And I would love to judge, plate by plate, many of the dishes presented here against a very good restaurant, not a tweezer kitchen but one that is serious about product and process.    I have paid a lot for many meals that wouldn't meet the MFF standard.    

FWIW, there is plenty of 99.9% sourcing, cooking and photo-sharing out there for those who prefer it.

• Like 1

Hopefully those RG beans won't give you gas in line with their carbon footprint. 

This is one of our local farms, 3 days ago:

I'll try and cook with some of that and let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

I think it's partly people just having extra time to post and share photos, although clearly some behaviors have changed. For example, I am not over-eating, but I am probably posting more about what I eat.

In another thread, the discussion about home cooking in contrast to restaurant cooking was sparked by Sietsema's comment that, although a "good cook," he couldn't match "even the most casual restaurant meals." That provoked dissent, but I haven't seen anyone claim they are matching "top-flight" restaurant meals.

How is this different from a complaint that when restaurants were open, we tended to discuss ones that were too expensive?

(I pretty much eat one meal a day myself, and the portion isn't large.  Have you noticed how much of what I eat are leftovers?)

I don't know, the complaints are hard to unpack - are they about quantity? pricing? modesty? which animals are eaten? frugality? 

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

but I haven't seen anyone claim they are matching "top-flight" restaurant meals.

I actually claimed that yesterday.  And for that one dish, I'll stick by that claim.  (Everything I've said along those lines has definitely been in response to Sietsema.)

I'm not eating any more than usual, nor am I keeping significantly more protein on hand, other than a few extra cans of tuna and a pound rather than a half pound of squid (because I go out to shop less often). But what I have noticed is that I'm a lot quicker to get pissed off at behavior that looks "inappropriate" to me, because I'm extra stressed out. Just ask the woman I death-stared on the bus today, because she yanked her mask down to yell into her phone. Is it possible that's a factor here?

Now if someone accused me of snacking more than usual, yes -- to fill the hours between finishing work and dinner which I used to spend (without snacking) in a bar. But I am eating much smaller lunches now I make them at home rather than go to some buffet or other in midtown.

IMHO, shipping costs are inflating quantities of food ordered.    You order to get the most product/shipping.   Then if you want to vary your diet with another category, seafood vs meat for instance, there comes another large order.   If we were shopping in brick and mortar stores, our orders would be much smaller and in line with daily needs.    I read a lot about leftovers and same product meals over time, but very little about emergency gorging to make freezer room.    And then take those with a grain of salt aka Mouthfuls humor.

• Like 2

I think one of the reasons our (okay my) freezer is stuffed is because when i order proteins, I order enough to get free shipping or some other deal...this stuff ain't cheap. But places like D'artagnan and the alaska seafood companies have always been around for home consumers who enjoy buying and preparing good quality product.

Couple that with the constant murmur that the food supply is breaking down, along with the fact that I haven't been out grocery shopping in probably six weeks (as opposed to daily excursions to my various haunts) leads to stuffed fridges and freezers, though my vegetables have dwindled as the weekend approached. Also, I'm basically buying the same produce, dairy, egg and beef product as if I were going to the Union Square green market weekly.

I hope this makes you feel better (as my full use of a chicken did), @cinghiale...dinner last night

424355504_Shrimpandsalads05-07.jpeg.970e974b4811489b10d69a7b965714fb.jpeg

3 U15 shrimp, 3-day old potato salad, half of a 2-week old fennel bulb salad, sliced on my mandoline, with some 16 week old winter radishes and red onion, and half an avocado.