• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, shipping costs are inflating quantities of food ordered.    You order to get the most product/shipping.   Then if you want to vary your diet with another category, seafood vs meat for instance,

For many of us, working from home and not spending time on a commute means there's more time to cook and/or put an effort into the food we're eating. Plus, we're all spending more time posting on Mout

Is there anything more on brand for our median user than this when paired with posts walking through the micro green book at Regalis? 

Posted Images

For many of us, working from home and not spending time on a commute means there's more time to cook and/or put an effort into the food we're eating. Plus, we're all spending more time posting on Mouthfuls because it's our virtual bar and we get to hang out with our friends. So we're sharing about food/meals we might not have posted about previously.

• Like 2

One thing Joe makes me think about is that, although I still do go grocery shopping, it's now a specific single-purpose trip. Like once a week to Essex St Market, or once a week to Union Market. In "normal" times, I was always on my way somewhere and would pick up food from wherever happened to be en route, and usually just a few items.

If I am schlepping somewhere solely to buy groceries, I am going to buy a bagful. 

I am planning to try this weekend to recreate Joe''s beautiful foccacia. I'm certainly not claiming that the discussion has been pointless, just that it tends to the attenuated. I'd like to see more Daniel and less $$$-creations.

We've not really been eating more--still trying to do our usual trick of cooking a big meal on the weekend and subsisting on the leftovers for days.  We've been going through our RG bean supply a lot and finally getting around to going through our freezer and using the meat we have, doing a bit of augmentation with trips to markets.  We have neither the freezer space nor the money to acquire big shipments of meat/poultry/fish.

I should have posted a picture of the lovely instant mashed potatoes I reconstituted yesterday. ;)

My shopping has definitely normalised since a few weeks ago as pretty much everything remains available.

What is still different is

1. Avoiding subways so shopping more in the neighbourhood (I miss the Viktualienmarkt, can get there by bike but don't have much time due to work/homeschooling.) Still we have some really nice options nearby. 

2. Avoiding larger supermarkets as I don't have time to wait on line for same reason. Generally shopping less often to avoid wait times. This means more volume per shop. 

4. Still at home with kids -- we all used to eat our main meal at school or work and now 3 meals a day at home. Just a lot more volume. 

5. Using stuff up much more efficiently since I'm cooking so frequently. Portions smaller than canteen, but I live with Germans and they like meat. 

6. I wouldn't say it's an issue but definitely drinking more... 

I am actually eating less, and more healthily since I am not traveling 20 +/- days a month. Not being tempted by apps, heavily sauced entrees and desserts on restaurant menus is a good thing. But my freezer is packed due to avoiding the shipping charges by volume/meeting the price point, as others mentioned. And the fact my SO lives in Nashville. So I am solo for the duration. Even better is it's given me a head start on my summer swimsuit self since I actually have the time and desire to use the workout room in my house. Rather than plopping on the couch because I am beat from all the travel.

At least there are some positives for me from the lockdown.

3 hours ago, cinghiale said:

I am planning to try this weekend to recreate Joe''s beautiful foccacia. I'm certainly not claiming that the discussion has been pointless, just that it tends to the attenuated. I'd like to see more Daniel and less $$$-creations.

I think you haven't paid attention to the caliber of ingredients usually featured in $$$ downmarket plates.  

Um the supply chain is already breaking down. Freshdirect is mostly out of steaks, brisket, etc. Local BBQ guy posted he can't get brisket anymore at restaurant depot. So I'm pretty annoyed that I lost a bunch of meat when me freezer hiccuped but glad I still have a good amount that survived. 

As for me, I enjoy cooking and couldn't really do it while commuting. And things like long roasts or smokes were tough if we spent our weekends going places, which we aren't doing right now! Also the fact that I now work 30 feet from my kitchen and smoker means I can cook while working. 

Lastly we went from eating dinner together and my youngest eating leftovers for lunch (and me sometimes bringing leftovers to work if they reheated ok and I remembered to pack it at 6am) to now all of us eating every meal at home. Up until last week when our favorite sandwich/soup place reopened that meant a lot of leftovers.