I planted the container garden two weeks ago, and put out the kumquat tree. I think the tree will be fine as it only lost the youngest leaves, but peppers, tomatoes, etc. are probably kaput. Seriously, it's almost mid May, it shouldn't be freezing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This may be a sacrilege to mention, but the happiest plants in my fledgling garden are.... Rancho Gordo beans! I have Alubia Blancas, Midnight Blacks and Domingo Rojos, and they are all about 3 inches

pulled one last (and only the second overall) large'ish harvest of tomatoes and peppers from the community garden plot today. would have been more if not for the fact that i failed to go out there for

Posted Images

I've been hardening off for a couple of weeks, and two days ago I transplanted from peat pots to containers. Just in time for the freeze. So far, everyone has survived, although the peppers (front, left) look miserable. I cover the basil with a half gallon container overnight, a (very) rudimentary greenhouse.

garden.jpg.fce8a1a8f08a53a9097fde6fb0f77083.jpg

Just went out to get coffee and it was snowing for a couple of minutes. I think I'll plant some rocks.

Things are blooming up a storm here.  Everyone's roses and such are at their peak.  We've been eating snap and shelling peas for a few weeks, and the strawberries, blueberries, fava beans, and eggplants are all coming into fore.  Potatoes and tomatoes should be next, and we're already seeing small apples on the tree.

for the first time in five years i am looking forward to the growing season. in 2016 we moved from a house where my garden got 8 hours of sunlight to a house where i'm lucky if it gets 5. tomatoes and peppers have been abject failures every year. this year, i finally managed to get a plot in a community garden about a 10 minute walk away. the plot is larger than any garden i've ever had and gets a minimum of 10 hours of direct sunlight a day in the summer. deer are apparently an issue but i'll take that. planning to grow a LOT of tomatoes and peppers along with some cauliflower and maybe some fancy radishes in year 1. i'll also be looking to plant some berries with a view towards next year. the garden at home i think i'll turn into a full-on herb garden.

• Like 1

If you want some gorgeous tomato plants, give Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes a try. I've had very good results for the last 3 years. She is a pleasure to chat with. And more than happy to give you tips and suggestions about what does well in your area.

While I'm at it, I have sworn off ordering from Burpee's. Ordered 6 herb plants on 4/1 since I was quarantined after having flown in March. All herbs in stock. Credit card charged. Since the pandemic was going into high drive, I waited until 4/15 to contact customer service since the order was still showing as "processing". No reply. I send another email (because they're not answering the phones). Finally get a response. Oh, sorry, we forgot to put it in the queue for actually filling the order. Seriously? So, another 4 days pass, and the order is still "processing". Another email telling them that if their customer service should put the order at the front of the line and expedite shipping. No response. The order is finally filled 3 days later. No expedited shipping. Herbs finally arrive the first week in May. And are some of the most pathetic things I have ever seen. All plants save one basil have since died. They've beaten me into submission though. Unless I break my promise to myself not to over drink some night, and don't step away from the computer after doing so.

we have a great little nursery in town who've been able to get me most of what i want in past years. alas, the ownership changed in the early spring but the new owner has apparently been working with the previous to keep things ticking along as they were before. i've given them my wishlist and am hoping they'll be able to get it all.

• Like 1

This year I tried winter seed sowing, you basically cut a milk jug in half, punch holes in the bottom, add dirt, plant seeds, tape the two halves back together and put outside where the whole contraption acts like a greenhouse. Low and behold, I have kale, broccoli and cauliflower seedlings that were planted in February. 

I've gone round and round about planting the few herbs and tomatoes and flowers I bought. I finally planted most yesterday, but ran out of time. We're supposed to get another frost tonight, but then it starts raining and is supposed to rain for at least 7 days. I figured if I didn't bite the bullet and put them out, it would be June and they'd still be in the little seedling pots. I covered what I could last night. Will survey damage in a bit. I am going to hold off planting the elephant ear bulbs until tomorrow and then will try to cover them if we get another cold spell.

7 hours ago, Abbylovi said:

This year I tried winter seed sowing, you basically cut a milk jug in half, punch holes in the bottom, add dirt, plant seeds, tape the two halves back together and put outside where the whole contraption acts like a greenhouse. Low and behold, I have kale, broccoli and cauliflower seedlings that were planted in February. 

Our kale and most herbs (mint, tarragon, marjoram) seed themselves and come back, so do the garlic chives. I was surprised that wormwood survived the winter. 

Looks like the peppers will make it after all, although they lost a few leaves. 

We haven't had a vegetable garden since we moved into this house nearly four years ago. This stay at home period got all of us excited to try to grow some vegetables this year.

Our only spot that gets really good sun will require containers so we ordered a bunch of EarthBox containers which will hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks. We will plant tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, radishes, beets, carrots, and possibly more. Will also have herbs going.

When we were out in the woods on Mothers' Day we found several huge, vigorous stands of ramps and so we harvested a couple of dozen, getting them out of the soft soil with roots attached. And, rather than eat all of them, we decided to plant a dozen or more in a couple of shady spots in the back yard.