Sign in to follow this  
Orik

2020 Growing Season

Trying out a new strawberry variety this year, Mieze Schindler. Needs to be cross pollinated with something, so Senga Sengana also going in the pot. We had enough bees on the dwarf apple trees to produce fruit, so hopefully the strawberries got some action as well. In any case we still have loads of Mara de Bois. 

Dwarf nectarine developed leaf curl, I am hoping I got to it in time.

Everything else came back this year. (OK, chervil I have to buy every year.) And finally replaced the bay that had too hard a winter two winters ago. The sage developed leaf mildew over the winter but I cut it way way back and it is now gorgeous. Rosemary topiary also pretty spectacular. 

Tree peony done, but the rhododendron and Damascus/Panaché roses just starting. Asters did beautifully this year. 

Not sure if I'll bother with tomato. Eh, will probably do some cherry tomato. But not from seed. 

We've been freezing half of each batch of harvested strawberries and blueberries so that eventually we can make a cobbler.

18 hours ago, Behemoth said:

Tree peony done, but the rhododendron and Damascus/Panaché roses just starting. Asters did beautifully this year.

Please share photos when the tree peonies are in bloom. I love them but obviously visits to NY Botanical Garden are off the table this year.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

Please share photos when the tree peonies are in bloom. I love them but obviously visits to NY Botanical Garden are off the table this year.

IMG_2858.jpeg

• Like 3

Speaking of....besides the bathroom situation seems like the nybg could easily be opening. 

From what I can tell from the correspondence I get from them they arent laying out a time frame yet.

Their donor outreach efforts are hitting a fever pitch tho.

They keep asking us if we want to do virtual tours.

I got an invite to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Virtual Spring Fling and Garden Soiree. I might virtually go!

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

From what I can tell from the correspondence I get from them they arent laying out a time frame yet.

Their donor outreach efforts are hitting a fever pitch tho.

They keep asking us if we want to do virtual tours.

Spouse attended one of their virtual tours on a day when the weather was particularly miserable. Fortunately, we made it to orchid show when it first opened.

This may be a sacrilege to mention, but the happiest plants in my fledgling garden are.... Rancho Gordo beans! I have Alubia Blancas, Midnight Blacks and Domingo Rojos, and they are all about 3 inches tall and thriving.

• Like 2

Planted a bunch of pots this year on our patio. So far the zucchini plant is growing like a weed but the cucumber looks sad (and has a tiny bit of white along the edges). Maybe it needs more sun? Probably get 5 hours or so where it is but that's really the max in our yard due to directionality. 

Fucking aphids. Does anyone have a good method of controlling them, other than ladybugs, which I have trouble attracting to my fifth floor balcony? I've used neem oil and insecticidal soap in the past without success. Now I've put out yellow sticky traps. But I am not optimistic.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to impress them with yellow traps when we had them in Japan. What did work was spraying vodka.

• Like 1