• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This may be a sacrilege to mention, but the happiest plants in my fledgling garden are.... Rancho Gordo beans! I have Alubia Blancas, Midnight Blacks and Domingo Rojos, and they are all about 3 inches

pulled one last (and only the second overall) large'ish harvest of tomatoes and peppers from the community garden plot today. would have been more if not for the fact that i failed to go out there for

Posted Images

Our second generation of basil plants meets the death panel today, to give its last unyellowed bounty for pesto. The mint is still great; oregano, good; thyme, doomed. The luxury of the high rooftop means extra heat, extra cold, extra wind for small green things.

What to do with the late-planted third generation of basil, now six to eight inches high and green enough? Add to the sauce tonight, or park it at night in front of the air conditioner for at least nighttime heat and maybe another couple of weeks of growth?

2 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Ditto!

That's weird. Would it be possible for one of you who see no sorghum to send me a screenshot so I can ask the software folks about it? 

22 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

Sent you both what I see on the phone app and laptop version, since they are slightly different.

Thank you, that's super helpful!

pulled one last (and only the second overall) large'ish harvest of tomatoes and peppers from the community garden plot today. would have been more if not for the fact that i failed to go out there for more than a week. between that the colder, wetter weather we had last week, some of the larger tomatoes over-ripened and split and or developed dark spots etc.

the peppers, however, are going strong. the thai dragons and thai hots have been giving us a steady stream of green chillies over the summer and the bushes were largely red today. might make a red chilli pickle.

though the raccoon damage was severe, the season was not a dead loss. and now i know the plastic deer mesh works well to keep them and the deer out. so i'm looking forward to finding out what new plague will take me down next summer.

pictures of today's harvest on instagram.

• Like 2

The sorghum pic is back (thanks Ev!) 

In terms of pests we only had one hornworm that went to town on a Jalapeño plant, but by now I know that a suspiciously trimmed plant means I'll keep staring at it until I see the monster hiding in plain sight. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Orik said:

The sorghum pic is back (thanks Ev!) 

In terms of pests we only had one hornworm that went to town on a Jalapeño plant, but by know I know that a suspiciously trimmed plant means I'll keep staring at it until I see the monster hiding in plain sight. 

They do blend in, don't they?

God, they're so gross.

Two things -

1. When I had a real garden, in a real house, with a real backyard in San Jose, there were times at night I would go out slug and snail and hornworm hunting. Sans guns.  You could hear them chewing.

2. I had a cat back in the day. I could throw a hornworm on the ground - and she would eat it. Talk about almost making me vomit.

I think they're kind of pretty, actually. I dropped that one over the balcony railing, but if I see another one, maybe I'll offer it to Laszlo and see what happens. Of course, that would mean bringing a caterpillar into the house.

18 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

1. When I had a real garden, in a real house, with a real backyard in San Jose, there were times at night I would go out slug and snail and hornworm hunting. Sans guns.  You could hear them chewing.

My brother used to do that in our backyard.  It was like his favorite thing.