AaronS

Indian Food in Brooklyn

I really want some indian food. corner dehli is closed. everything else I’m aware of is completely fungible. is there something I’m not thinking of within 10 miles of park slope/greenwood heights?

I think Adda is exactly 10 miles away.

15 hours ago, AaronS said:

I really want some indian food. corner dehli is closed. everything else I’m aware of is completely fungible. is there something I’m not thinking of within 10 miles of park slope/greenwood heights?

Not that I’m aware of.  There may be a steam table place (or a grocery store selling home made stuff in the back) on Coney Island Ave or MacDonald Ave/Church Ave with some decent food, But I haven’t found one.  The restaurants in the area are pretty bad, including Kinara (5th Ave around 17th?) which started out as the best of the bunch & has never ceased to disappoint me.

hold on, i have a recommendation for you from someone i trust...need to find it.

Recent rec?  It’s been around for several years now.  It’s one of the steam table places on Coney Island Ave I was referencing, but it’s one I’ve never tried.  If you’re in contact with the friend who recommended it, please ask how it compares with Madina a couple of blocks away.  Thanks.

when did i say it was a "recent rec"? i said it's a restaurant someone i trust recommends--she particularly recommends their naans and parathas.

it's possible these places do a kind of rustic, down-home food that may not appeal to the chicken tikka masala-hound.

calm down.  I wasn't saying that you claimed it to be recent, I was only asking if it was.  There was a flurry of positive reports on the place 4-5 years ago but I haven't heard anything since, so I was wondering.  "eattheworld.com" had some good pictures back then.  I didn't think the food was red enough to go.

http://www.eattheworldnyc.com/search?q=lahori

I've ordered from Lahori a few times but never been in person. Breads are great, as are most of the vegetables (okra, pakora curry, and saag get special shout outs).

Even better (imo) is Jalsa, which I believe is owned by two ex-FOH staff from Lahori. Their paneer is the best I've ever had, like soft and fluffy dumplings.

• Like 1

I’m going to walk over to lahori tomorrow. I’ll try jalsa next week.

it turns out that lahori chili restaurant and sweets will deliver to me and I ordered from them earlier in the week. I had my kids with me, so what we ordered sounds boring but was actually uniformly terrific. both the nans and parathas were great, the kebabs and tikka were terrific, and I liked the saag paneer and the butter chicken, although I don’t think I would have identified it as such if someone else ordered it. the highlight was actually the raita, which really complemented the kebabs and the chicken paratha. I’d be happy to eat anything we had again but will start working through the menu. jalsa grill and gravy, which is one block closer on the same street, also delivers to me and is next.

so thanks to gerry and mongo, and I’ll get to adda once my new bike arrives.

good to hear.

was the butter chicken less creamy than you're used to?

no, it was pinker than usual actually. it was spiced differently and had vegetables in it.