So...here's the elephant in the room question...

OK folks, non-political, non-BS...

How many of you are comfortable going to a restaurant -- for outdoor seating -- if the restaurant/ownership is practicing social distancing, all staff is wearing gloves and masks, and the outdoor seating space is something less than full capacity?

Anyone comfortable going to a restaurant for INDOOR seating? Same conditions as above? 

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

• Like 3

I don't particularly like eating outside in Manhattan even under normal circumstances - street traffic, noise, etc. The only time I don't hate it is with a big group, and that ain't happening for the foreseeable future. Inside is a hard no. We'll probably eat outside when we go upstate next week, though, as it will be more pleasant and I will feel (rightly or not) less at risk.

• Like 1

And there's talk of putting strict time limits on seating, so people don't linger unnecessarily.  Which I get is a good idea.  But I don't want to go out under such circumstances.

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Right - who needs this?

2 hours ago, small h said:

I don't particularly like eating outside in Manhattan even under normal circumstances - street traffic, noise, etc. The only time I don't hate it is with a big group, and that ain't happening for the foreseeable future. Inside is a hard no. We'll probably eat outside when we go upstate next week, though, as it will be more pleasant and I will feel (rightly or not) less at risk.

I seriously don't think I have ever eaten outside in Manhattan, unless Gray's Papaya counts. It's disgusting.

And I seriously doubt we'll be inside a restaurant for a long fucking time.

The way I see it is this.  Suppose I'm eating outside at a restaurant and the chef or proprietor, or a waiter or bartender, with whom I'm friendly comes over to chat.  If they're wearing a mask (and if I have to put one back on), it's weird and unpleasant.  If they're not wearing a mask, it's like, what the fuck are they doing hanging over my table without a mask?

• Like 1

Yes to outdoor. No to indoor. Have eaten outside a few times already in Piermont. We go when they open for lunch, we know we are the first ones sitting at the table that day. 

Honestly on this issue the bigger pain point for me is Mass.  I'm not remotely religious, but my wife is and the Diocese has reopened churches - and yes they are doing it in a thoughtful socially distanced way but still, data suggests Churches are a big vector.  

15 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Honestly on this issue the bigger pain point for me is Mass.  I'm not remotely religious, but my wife is and the Diocese has reopened churches - and yes they are doing it in a thoughtful socially distanced way but still, data suggests Churches are a big vector.  

My husband has said he will not step foot in a synagogue for the foreseeable future.