Jump to content
E.L.A.

So...here's the elephant in the room question...

Recommended Posts

OK folks, non-political, non-BS...

How many of you are comfortable going to a restaurant -- for outdoor seating -- if the restaurant/ownership is practicing social distancing, all staff is wearing gloves and masks, and the outdoor seating space is something less than full capacity?

Anyone comfortable going to a restaurant for INDOOR seating? Same conditions as above? 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't particularly like eating outside in Manhattan even under normal circumstances - street traffic, noise, etc. The only time I don't hate it is with a big group, and that ain't happening for the foreseeable future. Inside is a hard no. We'll probably eat outside when we go upstate next week, though, as it will be more pleasant and I will feel (rightly or not) less at risk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there's talk of putting strict time limits on seating, so people don't linger unnecessarily.  Which I get is a good idea.  But I don't want to go out under such circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ate dinner outside at one of our favorite places last night.  It was good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

Right - who needs this?

2 hours ago, small h said:

I don't particularly like eating outside in Manhattan even under normal circumstances - street traffic, noise, etc. The only time I don't hate it is with a big group, and that ain't happening for the foreseeable future. Inside is a hard no. We'll probably eat outside when we go upstate next week, though, as it will be more pleasant and I will feel (rightly or not) less at risk.

I seriously don't think I have ever eaten outside in Manhattan, unless Gray's Papaya counts. It's disgusting.

And I seriously doubt we'll be inside a restaurant for a long fucking time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will not do any restaurant dining until there is a safe vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it is this.  Suppose I'm eating outside at a restaurant and the chef or proprietor, or a waiter or bartender, with whom I'm friendly comes over to chat.  If they're wearing a mask (and if I have to put one back on), it's weird and unpleasant.  If they're not wearing a mask, it's like, what the fuck are they doing hanging over my table without a mask?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

To say nothing if just a friend who is not in the business comes over to chat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to outdoor. No to indoor. Have eaten outside a few times already in Piermont. We go when they open for lunch, we know we are the first ones sitting at the table that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly on this issue the bigger pain point for me is Mass.  I'm not remotely religious, but my wife is and the Diocese has reopened churches - and yes they are doing it in a thoughtful socially distanced way but still, data suggests Churches are a big vector.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Honestly on this issue the bigger pain point for me is Mass.  I'm not remotely religious, but my wife is and the Diocese has reopened churches - and yes they are doing it in a thoughtful socially distanced way but still, data suggests Churches are a big vector.  

My husband has said he will not step foot in a synagogue for the foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...