So...here's the elephant in the room question...

18 minutes ago, sweatshorts said:

25% at most restaurants is what, 10-15 people? Don't see that helping much.

i would be shocked if we decided to open indoor any time soon.  It's going to be interesting.. Firstly to see all of the crazy ever changing and confusing rules and then secondly to see all of the restaurants blatantly disregarding all of the ever changing and confusing rules. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, sweatshorts said:

25% at most restaurants is what, 10-15 people? Don't see that helping much.

Is capacity defined as regular dining capacity or fire code capacity? IE let's say a restaurant had very spaced out tables before. Are they only able to open at 25% of that number? Or could some of the more spacious establishments open at nearly normal levels (esp if they use private dining areas etc).  

1 hour ago, Tubbs said:

Is capacity defined as regular dining capacity or fire code capacity? IE let's say a restaurant had very spaced out tables before. Are they only able to open at 25% of that number? Or could some of the more spacious establishments open at nearly normal levels (esp if they use private dining areas etc).  

firstly tables have to be 6 feet apart.. But, i would assume it's fire code capacity but, then other restrictions, inspections and money making scenarios for the city.   It's all fucked. 

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

firstly tables have to be 6 feet apart.. But, i would assume it's fire code capacity but, then other restrictions, inspections and money making scenarios for the city.   It's all fucked. 

Yeah I'm thinking more places like EMP or Per Se where they are way under legal capacity and tables probably close to 6 feet apart already.  Of course you'd need to find enough people to sit for a 3 hour meal...

I imagine they're going to come up with some unrealistic HVAC requirements that will make it not worthwhile for most places to pursue until they really want everyone to open.

@Tubbs I believe capacity would be whatever is legal by default given the number of exits, or specifically allowed by a public assembly permit, but then you can only place tables and chairs in compliance with dob, fdny, and special office of the mayor, plus six feet apart. e.g. our PA permit is good for 199 people but I think we could only fit 16 or so when you combine all the rules (except if we take over the theater). 

Since NYPD is not going to enforce, I think it’s rather up to the industry whether they want to show compliance with the spirit of what’s required, or if, like most bars, they are going to take the Alfred E. Neumann approach and get everyone shut down again.

11 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Since NYPD is not going to enforce, I think it’s rather up to the industry whether they want to show compliance with the spirit of what’s required, or if, like most bars, they are going to take the Alfred E. Neumann approach and get everyone shut down again.

Compliance will also be enforced by an existing State Police and State Liquor Authority task force, as well as 400 city code enforcement officers, Cuomo said. He said people can anonymously report violation

I also read somewhere there is a way to report a restaurant right on the spot, by using a QR Code or phone number that is displayed directly in front of the restaurant... Imagine all the crazy neighbors, drunk patrons, community gardens and lonely people looking to talk will have fun with this one. 

11 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Enforcement, at least so far, has been carried out by the SLA as due to the history of their formation they are allowed to report any violation (building, fire, health, liquor, funny walking) to themselves, issue fines, and shut down businesses. I don't know that the nypd, even if it still existed, would be able to do any of that effectively.

But I patiently await the coming weeks of contradictory and confusing regulations.

13 hours ago, Orik said:

... plus six feet apart. e.g. our PA permit is good for 199 people but I think we could only fit 16 or so when you combine all the rules (except if we take over the theater). 

Yeah I'd bet that the six feet apart rule will be the big issue for small restaurants. It doesn't matter if you're "allowed" to operate at 25% (or eventually 50% on November 1 as is apparently planned) if the layout and size of your restaurant makes spacing tables out in accordance with the six foot rule difficult or impossible.

3 hours ago, Orik said:

Enforcement, at least so far, has been carried out by the SLA as due to the history of their formation they are allowed to report any violation (building, fire, health, liquor, funny walking) to themselves, issue fines, and shut down businesses. I don't know that the nypd, even if it still existed, would be able to do any of that effectively.

But I patiently await the coming weeks of contradictory and confusing regulations.

State authorities were a substitute for local law enforcement. In his press conference announcing the changes, Cuomo called on local law enforcement to get involved, as state enforcement is spread too thin.

We saw state police on St Mark's Place because NYPD took the position it was not its job to enforce social distancing. That was after the brutal arrests of a couple of Latinos two minutes walk from where I live was caught on camera, while the lawn at Tompkins Square Park five minutes away was packed with maskless white sunbathers. 

The SLA secret police was here two days ago, so I think the present tense is appropriate. Also I recently spoke with the community liaison for the 9th district and according to him, the nypd is still firmly of the opinion that it is not tasked with enforcing social distancing or any "quality of life" violations at the moment.

I also noticed that the new rules do not include a mandate for eating with your drink so far, which may or may not be intentional. 

9 hours ago, Orik said:

The SLA secret police was here two days ago, so I think the present tense is appropriate. Also I recently spoke with the community liaison for the 9th district and according to him, the nypd is still firmly of the opinion that it is not tasked with enforcing social distancing or any "quality of life" violations at the moment.

I also noticed that the new rules do not include a mandate for eating with your drink so far, which may or may not be intentional. 

Fair enough. Not sure what NYPD sees itself as tasked with right now, except being in a big sulk.

Hopefully new rules mean I can stop putting Lunchables or a piece of bread (really) on my table to indicate I am seated while drinking.