E.L.A.

So...here's the elephant in the room question...

40 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Honestly on this issue the bigger pain point for me is Mass.  I'm not remotely religious, but my wife is and the Diocese has reopened churches - and yes they are doing it in a thoughtful socially distanced way but still, data suggests Churches are a big vector.  

Medium-sized H watches the livestream from St. Patrick's. But he's also the guy who, when he attends Mass in person, leaves before the passing of the peace, because he doesn't want your filthy peace on his hands, thankyouverymuch.

Oh - so the idea that the priest won't put the host on your tongue is lets say somewhat controversial in certain corners of Brooklyn and Queens.

Fortunately the guidelines on the reopening make that issue abundantly clear.

18 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

Ditto.  Have not been outdoors yet for exactly this reason.  I do miss the social aspect of dining out, sitting at the bar and schmoozing. So now doing that at home outside with no more than a total of six people who I know have not been to big gatherings recently. Eating really good food outdoors. Late night drink at the fire pit. And with access to much better ingredients than usual, it is all good. Admittedly not the same as going out but not bad either.  The biggest negative still is the dishes......

Our family is a long way away from eating indoors at a restaurant. 

I had someone suggest we move this to General Food and Drink since it's relative everywhere, not just NJ. Any objections?

My parents, who live in Monmouth County, have had a couple of restaurant meals outside - one was at Pier Village in Long Branch. They report that there was no access to the restaurant's (or anyone else's) bathroom. Which is also a dealbreaker for me. Although it would certainly be a good way to set a time limit.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, small h said:

My parents, who live in Monmouth County, have had a couple of restaurant meals outside - one was at Pier Village in Long Branch. They report that there was no access to the restaurant's (or anyone else's) bathroom. Which is also a dealbreaker for me. Although it would certainly be a good way to set a time limit.

Is that even legal?  The two places we've eaten at both allowed bathroom access (though in NY State) and there was a big argument on my town message board with the general conclusion that if there is actual service at the tables then bathrooms should be open. The ones I've been to had one person at a time rule  And honestly I didn't find it a big deal. I mean, the wait staff and cooks have to go somewhere...1 minute in a room with no other people and wearing a mask.  

On 6/25/2020 at 5:45 PM, Sneakeater said:

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

Just to be painfully clear (cuz I see it might not have been), this response was assuming current restrictions (masks for staff, distancing, etc.).  I just can't see going out like that.  As mitchells said, with the better ingredients now available for use at home, there just doesn't seem to be any value in it.  Normally, the value to eating out is social interaction (a/k/a schmoozing) -- but the necessary restrictions now in place eliminate that.  If you’re not allowed to have fun, why spend the money (and take even minor health risks)?

It's the same with concerts.  I just can't see going to a concert if I have to wear a mask and the hall has to 1/2-2/3 empty.  It's just not fun. I have a good stereo at home.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It's the same with concerts.  I just can't see going to a concert if I have to wear a mask and the hall has to 1/2-2/3 empty.  It's just not fun. I have a good stereo at home.

To me, as depressing as no restaurants/bars. And travel as well.

I just got an email about a concert rescheduled for May 25, 2021. And do I want to keep the same tickets? Now how the fuck do I know?

12 hours ago, Tubbs said:

Is that even legal?  

I doubt it, but my mother was fine with it, since she's convinced that using a public bathroom - unlike hanging out with her friends - is unsafe. (She usually arrives at Reality Station eventually.  I handled no-cell-phone-while-driving-no-not-even-on-speaker-no, so I'm letting my sister take this one.)

20 hours ago, Evelyn said:

I had someone suggest we move this to General Food and Drink since it's relative everywhere, not just NJ. Any objections?

do it.

I can't see any issue with dining indoors or outdoors given current infection rates. 

Our county started allowing outdoor dining last Friday, and N wants to wait a few weeks before thinking about it. At that point, I might consider it if I wanted to eat foods that don't travel well (fried food), or we want food from a place far from home, where pickup doesn't really make practical sense.  (We're avoiding delivery because of the venality of Doordash/GrubHub/et al.)  We're also OK with pickup cocktails and beers and such.

Totally not doing indoor dining.  Part of eating out is the full experience, and I really would rather wait until there's a vaccine or something that allows the masks to come off and the shields to come down. 

4 hours ago, Orik said:

I can't see any issue with dining indoors or outdoors given current infection rates. 

You are very likely right (at least in NJ/NYC). I think there's an ick factor that will take a while to overcome for eating indoors, at least for me. Just saw atomixis reopening and damn if I'd love to go but just can't bring myself to do it. For eating outdoors, I agree the risk is close to nil as long as I'm not at a communal table with a stranger sitting across from me. I really couldn't care less if the waiter/waitress is wearing a mask (in the sense that them wearing a mask somehow takes away from the experience). 

We ate outdoors at another of our favorite local restaurants last nite & had a good time there as well.  There was plenty of ability to say hello to familiar faces at other tables from a distance, and even a brief conversation or two from table to table.  Interaction with wait staff is a bit awkward at times but can be managed if everyone is on the same page, safety wise.

My province started opening up ~June 1st to indoor and patio dining, no more than 50% capacity, social distancing in place, servers have to wear masks, etc. I've eaten indoors at restaurants twice since then (including today) and haven't felt unsafe at all. This past week, restaurants were allowed to open to 100% capacity but with all the same restrictions as before, which really means restaurants will still only be open to 50%. 

I've also been going to the gym several times a week. And my mother goes to mass (they only allow a maximum of 50 people at larger churches, 25 at smaller ones, appropriately distanced from each other, no singing, definitely no handshaking which is great for my mother since she a germaphobe at the best of times, plus you have to make a reservation and you also have to disinfect your pew after mass is finished). 

But where I live, the entire province only has 1.4 million people and only 15 people are currently infected. In my city of 700,000, there are 7 infected people (possibly up to 11 as they announced 4 more infected people today, but not where they were located). So the curve was flattened relatively quickly here, and despite the recent increase in cases, I think it will stay flat until the predicted second wave. As long as we keep the Americans and Ontarians out, anyway, since at least 5 of the current cases are truckers who traveled through Ontario and/or the US.