So...here's the elephant in the room question...

11 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I worry about having friends over.

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of sanity which we believe with minimal risk. So far so good.

• Like 2
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

Though our apartment has 2,460 square feet of deck, its table is only six feet long, before ten became the new six.

So we can't have anyone over after all.

No, I'm looking forward to hosting again. And grateful that the guest bathroom is closest to the deck door. My motto with lovely spouse has always been, since before we were married, "food first," which is why our wedding was in a barbecue restaurant. But my new metric of friendship is sanitary, not culinary: you gotta be worth me closing that bathroom door for three days before I clean and Clorox it again.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mitchells said:

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of sanity which we believe with minimal risk. So far so good.

Is that the road to sanity? Because I might be looking for that road, after spending 24/7 with my (admittedly lovely) wife and (admittedly lovely) cat. For the last 120+ days.

You do have a lovely cat!

For N's birthday on Saturday, we had one person over: the same person she's been seeing nearly every day (he's her writing coach and good friend).  We hope to have an outdoor BBQ next month with 2 friends whom we visited a few weeks ago.  That's going to be it for a while

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For me, mentally, I keep "considering" in my mind, going to a restaurant where I know the owner, he/she is taking this situation seriously, has outdoor seating, hasn't crammed in the tables too close together, isn't letting people congregate (under the tent) around the tables, etc. I actually think about it, go through it in my head, and actually think about who I am going with.

Then, about 2 minutes later...my intellect, prudent, responsible, etc., behavior and thought process kicks in...and the reality is that I am not going to any restaurant right now. That's just me. No right or wrong, no political, medical, or scientific inferences...just me.

I have a small group of friends, about 4-5 of us. All of us have been in quarantine, working remotely/from home, have not gone out in any re-opening/re-entry kind of way. Each of us have been to a supermarket or specialty store. None of us have had any symptoms. One of us is going to host, outside, on his big deck, seated far enough apart, all food on one big table, everyone gets their own food, one at a time, and so on. He said bring your own booze, don't, bring your own utensils, whatever you are comfortable with. For a variety of reasons, that I am OK with. I've gone to a friend's house, who I know has been prudent, responsible, safe, and home -- and I sat outside, by the pool, 8 feet or so apart, had a few drinks (brought my own, LOL), smoked a cigar, and spent a coupe of hours. I was OK with that.

My one friend who lives in NYC, said he's not going to a restaurant -- period -- until there is a vaccine, he's had it, and even then, he still wants to see what the landscape looks like. I respect his decision.

We'll be hosting a couple of friends soon.  We've hung out with them once before, in their apartment, no masks.  The plan is for us to eat outdoors (which will be good anyway for one of the guests who is highly allergic to cats).  It should work.

Your odds of contracting covid at a nyc restaurant today are about one in 200,000. If you're 50 years old, for example, that's lower than your odds of dying today of any cause. 

I don't think the problem is the risk of contracting COVID.

I think it's the risk of paying a fairly substantial amount of money for substandard dreck served by masked factota.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I think it's the risk of paying a fairly substantial amount of money for substandard dreck served by masked factota.

They call that a sure thing...like maybe 1 to 10.