So...here's the elephant in the room question...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

On 6/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

Oh - so the idea that the priest won't put the host on your tongue is lets say somewhat controversial in certain corners of Brooklyn and Queens.

Fortunately the guidelines on the reopening make that issue abundantly clear.

if you want wine, you have to get the host. 

Mekelburg's was a grocery store/ market since our inception.. During the pandemic, we changed into a full grocery.. We got rid of the tables and chairs and added more shelving units and racks and displays and brought in tons of alcohol bottles and wine bottles.. During this time, I stop going to my other job and started working full time at the shops.. I was stocking shelves, checking people out, receiving orders, working all day in a super busy grocery store.. My morning were spent making deliveries to about 10 hospital and EMS battalions.  Initially we were not wearing masks and were told gloves were the most important thing.. So, we were doing half hour scrub downs with sanitizers, we were wearing gloves and sanitizing in between each customer..   Gloves, everyone was talking about gloves and how it stuck on surfaces, the airborn aspect was not initially touted to be as important as it is now. 

Eventually, the masks started hitting manhattan.. Everyone in manhattan was wearing masks..  One day I was in manhattan and I stopped by New York Mart in Chinatown.. They would not let you in the store without a mask, i was shocked, i didn't have a mask.. "I said, you know this is a consipiracy and they are putting 5 g trackers in masks and the CO2 will kill me, and I said I will no submit to you the facist overloards and george soros......"  and in the middle of my speech, i forgot I really needed dumplings so, I gave in..  They sold me one for a buck..  (all just a joke obvi)

So about a month or so in, after working close to 15 hours a day straight, in a shop that was completely packed with people.. Like, every day was the day before thanksgiving busy, we decided to and were one of the first places to put up the plexiglass screen... We also required all staff to wear gloves and masks... This was at a time before it was mandatory, or even highly practiced in Brooklyn.. In fact, it took a few weeks after our staff wore masks that we made it mandatory for customers to.   Brooklyn was about a month behind manhattan  i want to say.. 

I don't know what I am saying.. I am saying, I have been incredibly anal about washing, protecting, being safe, all the while working everyday in the public.  So, I guess I either have had it, are protecting myself properly or are extremely lucky... Even after working on the "front lines" or in public since the outbreak, i definitely do not feel safe eating in restaurants.. I feel strange about dining out.. I work in a restaurant, i see how we wipe down tables after every customer, i see how our policies are zero tolerance for not wearing masks or being unsafe and it makes going to other places easier.. I probably sit outside either one of my places once a day and have a drink or some fries, or a snack...  

But, I also have seen people act like greedy unsafe assholes and I would never go to their places.. I have stated somewhere,we left a place that didn't practice proper safety.. With the exception of sitting at my place almost daily for the past 4 or 5 months, we have eaten out 3 times. Not to mention, the family and I go to get ice cream a few times a week since June.   It felt safe, it felt fun as we knew the staff and felt comfortable.. We would wear masks while conversing with the server, wore a mask when food was placed down, we were a mask anytime we interacted with the staff.  And we tipped 50 percent or more.. 

I am pretty comfortable dining outside under the conditions I deem to be safe.. I carry wet wipes, i sanitize the table myself usually and the chairs and well, those are my thoughts. 

I got a notification that The Grand Delancey in Essex Market is opening up today for outdoor drinking, with food from some of the Market Line vendors (as in the before times). I went over to see what the setup looked like, since I miss Essex Pearl oysters and Schaller & Weber's vegan bratwurst on a pretzel bun. I concocted some fantasy that there was a big open plaza somewhere that I'd mysteriously never noticed in my 15ish years of living here, and that was where the tables would be set up. But no. They are on the sidewalk, wrapping around the north and east sides of the market building. Those oysters will have to wait.

ETA: Just checked the online menu, and there's no oysters or vegan bratwurst anyway. I feel better. Wait, no, I don't.

I feel bad for that little "park" between Suffolk and Clinton, on Broome. I'm sure the parking lot behind Rite Aid (and probably Rite Aid itself) will come down at some point, and the site of the burned out temple will be under construction for at least the next 5 years, so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, small h said:

I got a notification that The Grand Delancey in Essex Market is opening up today for outdoor drinking, with food from some of the Market Line vendors (as in the before times). I went over to see what the setup looked like, since I miss Essex Pearl oysters and Schaller & Weber's vegan bratwurst on a pretzel bun. I concocted some fantasy that there was a big open plaza somewhere that I'd mysteriously never noticed in my 15ish years of living here, and that was where the tables would be set up. But no. They are on the sidewalk, wrapping around the north and east sides of the market building. Those oysters will have to wait.

ETA: Just checked the online menu, and there's no oysters or vegan bratwurst anyway. I feel better. Wait, no, I don't.

Medium-sized H is going insane with only me and cat for company and made plans to meet a friend on the Patio for a slice and a drink. I don't want him to die alone, so I went along. It wasn't as horrible as I feared - as soon as the fratty assholes two tables down left, we had the Delancey side to ourselves.  Because Sunday afternoon traffic was pretty light (both foot and vehicular), and it was cool-ish and breezy,  I was able to sort of enjoy my Essex Pearl shrimp salad sandwich and $10 (this is too much for 12 ounces!) Hudson Valley Sour IPA. So there you have it - my first sit-down restaurant meal in Manhattan since March. I am still asymptomatic, as of this writing.

So far beyond us.    Husband still refuses to eat food not cooked in our kitchen.   AKA  no take out, much less eat-in outdoor seating.   This has become really, really old.    I have come to hate my cooking.    In fact the concept of "food" is getting unappetizing.   

• Like 1

My co-habitant, who was until this month not only apparently sane but also a hypochondriac, asked me whether we could invite this friend to stay with us upstate. In our 800 sf cabin. I didn't think I had to explain that it is possible to get diseases from people EVEN IF YOU LIKE THEM. But I guess I do.

• Like 1