So...here's the elephant in the room question...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

1 minute ago, small h said:

Or wishful thinking.

We've got enough of that in our house.   Husband is like a kid counting down the days to his birthday re returning to France.    I just don't have the heart to tell him, "It just ain't gonna happen, Sweetie.   Not this year, maybe not....."

22 hours ago, voyager said:

So far beyond us.    Husband still refuses to eat food not cooked in our kitchen.   AKA  no take out, much less eat-in outdoor seating.   This has become really, really old.    I have come to hate my cooking.    In fact the concept of "food" is getting unappetizing.   

I can so relate to this. I am so sick of trying to think of what to make, where and how to get the stuff to make it, then actually getting said ingredients and preparing it, that by the time it is done, I have no appetite. I have lost about 5 lbs. so far and still dropping. Despite having many horrible carb and sugar-laden foods because it was simply the easiest thing to eat.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I can so relate to this. I am so sick of trying to think of what to make, where and how to get the stuff to make it, then actually getting said ingredients and preparing it, that by the time it is done, I have no appetite. I have lost about 5 lbs. so far and still dropping. Despite having many horrible carb and sugar-laden foods because it was simply the easiest thing to eat.

I'm doing kinda the opposite; order a bunch of proteins and vegetables (not even knowing what vegetables will show up, but making sure I have basics like onions, carrots, celery) and then decide what to make. Every week, a chicken, some pork in one form or another, maybe some crab/shrimp, freezer still stocked with frozen wild salmon/halibut/duck breasts, etc. If I could only lose 5 lbs...

• Like 1

Cooking via whim definitely helps with boredom and repetition.   Sitting here deciding what i feel like for dinner vs what do i have.  I have been eating the same biriyani for the last week at work, in between seitan sandwiches.  These last three weeks I have had a lot of daal.  I am unmotivated right now to make one.  I am kind of uninspired right now.    I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere but, the other night, Miss A and I split a whole bag of doritos and a bottle of wine.  That was certainly a first.  I guess I am in a rut.  I would really like to bbq a fish.   I just made miss k salmon and rice. i made this yuzu rice which,  i could eat a bowl of and call a night . 

• Like 1

Well so far, I have made potatoes bravas and corn nuts.  I took the leftover hominy and baked it, covered in spicy paprika type thing in keeping with the theme.  so thats how you make corn nuts.  Harissa cabbage roasting in the oven. 

• Like 1

I am SO happy to be back to my Old Normal of going to the market (now that Olmsted Trading Post has opened, two markets) once a week and compiling the following week's meal plan on the spot based on what's available.  It's SO much easier and less fraught than buying in bulk and wondering, "what the fuck am I going to DO with this stuff."

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I am SO happy to be back to my Old Normal of going to the market (now that Olmsted Trading Post has opened, two markets) once a week and compiling the following week's meal plan on the spot based on what's available.  It's SO much easier and less fraught than buying in bulk and wondering, "what the fuck am I going to DO with this stuff."

It's funny, but I feel differently. Having to go to the market (at earlier than 7:45 evidently), and then planning out and buying a week's worth of meals based on what's there sounds way more fraughtful to me. Like what if on Tuesday I decide I don't really want to make that boar sausage? Or Wednesday, I really just want to have cheese, salumi, and breads and not cook? Now I've got excess stuff that if I don't use soon, might go bad?

It keeps me a little more interested in cooking not knowing what I'm gonna make until like the day before or day of, based on what NOW is in my fridge or freezer.

• Like 2

With the exception of dinner parties, I've never shopped to a meal plan.    I haven;t that kind of discipline.   We keep a fairly stocked larder plus fridge.   Somehow, daily, meals occur.   Only decision is what protein to pull from freezer each morning.  Or not.

• Like 2