So...here's the elephant in the room question...

I am really impressed with all of the ice cream knowledge..  Orik, is on some next level, .. I can't wait to try it, I was lost at the sciencey stuff.  We now have a destination in Manhattan to go to with the boy.    I have made ice cream over the years and always did the most simple prep.  Heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, maybe some burnt caramel, maybe some chocolate, occasionally I have made a sorbet..I have made lots of granitas and thousands of semifreddos.   I know I have added eggs to ice cream and played with some ratios of milks and creams.  But, as I really do not eat ice cream, or dessert, I never really cared about it.  My mother on the other hand, routinely travels hours to try different ice cream places.   She prefers small ice crystals in hers.  She likes a particular ice cream and doesn't like it too creamy, or something.. She is very particular.  I eat it and I don't really consider it.   And with my inlaws, they have a nightly ritual where they sit around and eat like the most discount, airated ice cream.. I think it's friendly's maybe even.  

9 times out of 10 when I take Jax to get an ice cream, I don't order anything for myself.  On that 10th time, i will either ask for a taste of something, or get the smallest kids cup or cone and not even finish it.  Jax by that time is circling back for mine.  When I eat ice cream, i don't ponder the fat, the texture... It's actually one of the few times where I don't analyze what I am eating.. It's just enjoyment.

We sell ice cream at our place, my knowledge went as far as calling up my favorite ice cream place as a child... I spoke with a teenager on the phone who worked there and basically directed them to the walk in and had them check the label on their mix for soft serve!  It was a success.  

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't go because it wouldn't be fun.  I don't have to think hard about whether I'm comfortable with the health risks.  The experience wouldn't be enjoyable enough to outweigh even a modest risk.

The road to sanity is long, and far away. (At least we each have our own seating area - 800 square feet grows smaller every day!)

We’re typically having  4 and no more than 6 including us and only close friends that we know have been safe. All of our dinners/lunches with friends have been outside. It has provided us a bit of san

Posted Images

16 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

what?

I think other than a taste of something Sivan thought was especially nice I had zero ice cream in 2020 and probably a few scoops placed in front of me at tasting menu places.

But if I'm going to make it for others to enjoy I'm going to try and be all sciency about it. (I also don't have stale Spanish bread to put in my gazpacho and yet...)

• Like 2

Ice cream falls into that category foods I enjoy contemplating more than eating.    I love to serve interesting flavors at dinner parties.    Small balls of lemon ice cream buried in Eton Mess;  anise with gingerbread cake spiked with coffee and chocolate; super dark chocolate sorbet laced with chocolate elixir.   it's an easy and well accepted ending.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

On that 10th time, i will either ask for a taste of something, or get the smallest kids cup or cone and not even finish it.  Jax by that time is circling back for mine. 

I'm more like Jax. That's one smart kid.

There may be contemplating involved, but it is more likely to be contemplating how can I get more? 

• 4 weeks later...

We enjoyed a sensational INDOOR dinner out for the first time in six months at Il Nido in Marlborough Township, NJ. All of the tables were nicely spaced and the servers were fully masked. We went early and had the whole room to ourselves for the first hour. They removed some tables and only had 5 tables in this particular room. They have 3 other rooms plus they set up beautiful canapes outside and took up a big chunk of the parking lot. The outside was jammed when we left. The owners added hepa filters for better air circulation. We enjoyed a delicacy of 36 month aged culatello with hazelnuts; ricottina with white figs, fig jam, and prosciutto; basil pesto fettuccine with lobster; lobster risotto; wagyu bavette; honey nut squash with brown butter and rosemary. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and cabernet.

• Like 1

We have been noticing a trend, so much so that we had to put a mandatory tip on bills over 50 bucks... Our bar staff at the Domino location was averaging something like 8 to 10 percent tips.  We can debate the whole tipping thing but, that's not what I am trying to say.. With all of these people talking about tipping 50 percent or treating  staff or service people well, all that is over if it ever was.   Also noticing, at my local grocery store, like this morning for example, deli counter woman, no mask, two stock people in produce, no mask, guy behind fish counter mask at under nose, guy stocking bread, no mask at all, the women at the check out counter were conversing and only put on a mask when I was like 20 feet away from them.  

Saturday morning 5 employees at my local super market were not wearing masks, two customers were not wearing masks... My local bodega literally had 6 people all not wearing masks in the place.. I walked in and did a cartoon like u turn and walked directly out.. 

These are not anti-masker whackadoos, these are just people who have become complacent.  

Which brings me to a recent Vice article which speaks about the mysterious unsolicited  seeds that were sent from china to random us homes.. 10's of thousands of them.. There were reports of people eating the seeds, thousands planted the seeds without knowing what they were.. I don't know how it's connected but we are doomed.   I want off this hamster wheel. 

• Like 2

Whenever we wait in one of the designated parking spaces for our no contact pick-up order at the ShopRite near our house in Marlboro, NJ (now a weekly event), we watch shoppers going in and coming out, and we’ve noticed that compliance with mask wearing is 100%!

• Like 2

Yeh, i can see an issue in my neighborhood with customers..  I have hired a security guard.. But, one worker in a deli, I don't expect them to risk their lives in order to make mask wearing mandatory.. We literally had 5 people shot in two separate incidences yesterday alone unrelated to masks.. But, the grocery store's problem is it's actual staff.. I have called talked with the manager.. Very pleasant, i have known him for at least a decade.. He assured me that " I would see immediate changes"  I asked where the security guard they hired went?  Owners pulled them.. So, i expect a hey, please wear a mask to a customer until you feel threatened but, at the very least, you have to be able to control your staff. 

1 hour ago, small h said:

I'm starting to think this country is full of people who resist doing something for no other reason than they're told to do it. A collective "You're not the boss of me."

This wasn't immediately evident to you in 2016?

37 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

This wasn't immediately evident to you in 2016?

There's the "you're not the boss of me" people, and then there's the people who cover their ears and close their eyes and sing "La la la la, I can't hear you." Guess which group I'm in.

Allow Laszlo the Wonder Cat to demonstrate.

IMG_3612.jpg

• Like 1