Would you eat it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nanny eats first? 

Isn't this what people have children for?

I'm a VERY amateur mushroom hunter and chanterelles are one of the few that I'm comfortable foraging. Hen of the woods are another and given all the rain, I'm crossing my fingers for a big harvest.

So Mrs AB interrogated the nanny ( I declined to be involved) to which the nanny replied by eating a few raw.  I was then allowed to cook them.  They were absolutely delicious.

Now to figure out if there is something I should do to nuture the fungi.  She also picked a few boletus today but she kept them for herself.

2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Now to figure out if there is something I should do to nuture the fungi.  She also picked a few boletus today but she kept them for herself.

Pray for the right climatic conditions?

On 6/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, Orik said:

Google says there's one similar mushroom that'll make you puke,

Jack O'Lantern is similar, but it grows in clumps, and chanterelles grow separately. The gills also look different. I've gone on a couple of mushroom walks, and I'm comfortable id'ing black trumpets and puffballs (both of which I've foraged and eaten). I took a picture of what thought were chanterelles and had a forest ranger check it out - he said I'd found Jack O'Lanterns, so I'm glad I asked.

• 1 month later...

Picked up some groceries for my father. Garage fridge door did not shut tight when I put it in this am. Hebrew national hot dogs and salami, and Greek yogurt all got up to about 65 by the time I noticed this afternoon. My inclination is toss the salami, make sure the hot dogs are recooked hot, and smell test the yogurt. 

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I wonder how much can go wrong with the salami?

Or - cook it also, and make salami and eggs!

A lot actually, because it's very possibly not a fermented product and not dried to low enough water activity levels for preservation. 

@voyager in the US things that are safe all over the world have been lobbied into being considered very risky in order to support large factories being able to subvert the production processes. e.g. one of the industry groups spent a substantial amount to finance a study showing that e. coli can survive lacto fermentation of cucumbers to make sure hipster pickles can never be a serious threat to awful pickle slices.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Orik said:

in the US things that are safe all over the world have been lobbied into being considered very risky in order to support large factories being able to subvert the production processes. e.g. one of the industry groups spent a substantial amount to finance a study showing that e. coli can survive lacto fermentation of cucumbers to make sure hipster pickles can never be a serious threat to awful pickle slices.

25 minutes ago, voyager said:

Like roast ducks hanging in Chinatown shop windows.   

An appropriate converse: I remember a Meatingplace article on a US-China agro (not aggro) trade battle (not war) in which chicken feet, which poultry producers had learned to ship to the East rather than turn into pet food, were rejected briefly by Chinese customs because of claimed offense about the boxes' NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION labels. Which Meatingplace said was because poultry feet were processed before USDA inspection of the non-offal. I don't know.

3 hours ago, voyager said:

Like roast ducks hanging in Chinatown shop windows.   

The idea is to claim they need to be refrigerated and then to market a "roast" "duck" boar's head product.

• Like 1