(I'm now listening to a recent remastering of some early '60s Dvorak orchestral recordings.  I thought the triode mode would be best cuz it would tame the fierceness in the highs.  But it turns out you really want the bottom to show in these recordings, so it's ultra-linear here.)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily, many of the concerts I went to in High School ('67-70) were outdoors in Central Park or the Flushing NYS Pavilion.  Some of those I went to at the Fillmore East were brutal.  Lee Michaels had

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So a few weeks ago I had a girlfriend over. We hadn't seen each other since early March. She knew I had gotten a new amp -- it's all I ever talk about -- but she doesn't care about or have much experience with such things. 

We sat down and chatted -- this was the first time we'd seen each other in like SIX MONTHS, remember -- and I put a record on. Suddenly, she stopped talking. "I never knew a stereo system could sound like this!", she blurted. 

We got back to talking. Then, apropos of nothing, she interjected, "Whatever you paid for this amplifier, it was worth it!"  (That's how you know she's a girlfriend and not a wife.)

Finally, a bit later she once again broke off from our conversation to ask, out of nowhere, "You got new speakers, too, right?" "No," I said, "these are the same speakers I've had for the last 30 years." "They never sounded like THIS!", she exclaimed.

Frankly, the whole thing was a bit counterproductive, as I ultimately had to try really hard to persuade her that there were other things we could be doing besides listening to my audio system.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Frankly, the whole thing was a bit counterproductive, as I ultimately had to try really hard to persuade her that there were other things we could be doing besides listening to my audio system.

Yes - it was time for dinner!

• 3 weeks later...

This is pathetic, but I really have to say that I have never had a possession I love and treasure as much as this new amplifier.

What a sorry excuse for a life I lead.  (I enjoy it, though.)