Now I have to ponder the difference between "doing" and "putting over."

If I am understanding it correctly, an example of "doing" songs live would be Wilco playing the entirety of the "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" album live, remaining precisely faithful to the original: one of the most boring live shows I've ever seen, although I like the album.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily, many of the concerts I went to in High School ('67-70) were outdoors in Central Park or the Flushing NYS Pavilion.  Some of those I went to at the Fillmore East were brutal.  Lee Michaels had

Ok.  Sounds like a fuller, more comprehensive analysis.  But, as you agree, the result is that some rock music is worse with equipment that is better.  Somewhat like not wanting the lighting to be bet

Such an interesting discussion, at least the parts I can understand. When we were kids, my friends and I all wanted great stereos. From Crazy Eddie to Uncle Julie's (whose shop I think was in Hem

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

And just to be clear about my point here, what I say about Ya-Yas is what I thought every time I saw the Stones:  they weren't doing the songs, they were just putting them over.

And it's hardly just the Stones.  It's practically everybody that's gotten to the point of having a few records out (back in the days when people had records out).

Almost everybody, for sure.

I think possibly one of the reasons why the Stones were so, shall we say groundbreaking (imo) in terms of live "rock" performance, is that they maybe understood this. And that's why so much visual effect was added - in addition to it adding something at giant venues. It wasn't so so much about the music; it was the spectacle.

A band I don't love, but wanted to see live, was U2. And when we saw their show/tour at the Garden maybe 4 or 5 years ago - it kinda blew me away; their use of video and effects was so great. But I'd still rather have been able to get into their "rehearsal" show at Irving Plaza.

• 5 months later...

This isn't my amp, but if any of you are wondering, the 2021 upgrade to the Audeze LCD-X headphones (it was really effectuated in 2020, but it wasn't announced until 2021) is totally worth it.

You do lose a (very) little bit of the chocolate creaminess in the bass, which was/is my favorite thing about these headphones.  But it's still there -- and the increase in mid-range presence and balance more than makes up for the slight loss at the bottom.

In a way, this upgrade makes the LCD-Xs better for lifetime listening.  Cuz that creamy chocolate bass impressed in the shop -- it's what made me vow, years ago, to get a pair of these some day after having listened to them in a shop -- but the more balanced midrange makes these headphones more congenial for serious listening over a period of years or (one hopes) decades.

Back to topic, the Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp remains the best non-real estate purchase I have ever made in my life.

(Actually, you have to wonder whether the increase in mid-range presence just makes it seem like the bass in the LCD-Xs has been slightly truncated.  If I were a measurements/graph-head like all the Young Headphone Freaks, I'd probably know.  But I'm not.  I just care how things sound.)

• 4 weeks later...