• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got 2 pounds of masa last Saturday. I've heard over and over that masa goes bad in a day or two but other than drying out a little, this masa seems fine. I know it was made fresh and has zero additi

NYTimes on a tortilleria that you NYers should check out. Of course she never addresses the question whether the masa is made fresh or is from masa harina. If it's fresh, NY just became a more wonderful place!

Your she is a he!

I just assumed it was Fabricant. Whoops.

porkwah:

just called them up. they use maseca. (it could be good anyway, since they make things fresh, but not THAT good.)

Is it a long trip? You might as well make them with maseca yourself. Unless it's for a crowd.

I'm telling you folks in NY, there is a goldmine waiting to be made!

Is it a long trip? You might as well make them with maseca yourself. Unless it's for a crowd.

I'm telling you folks in NY, there is a goldmine waiting to be made!

It's a long trip from most everyone. At least 20 min for me, and I'm one of the closest.

I'd love it if someone would start selling real masa here and have wondered why it isn't done yet.

• 9 months later...

So I made fresh masa again. This time I had white corn and super fresh CaL. All went as planned except for the grinding. I have one of these, which is two plates that grind together. You need to grind the masa twice and it's really a pain.

779626040_caefbc338e.jpg

But i feel like I'm fighting the inevitable so I just bought a metate that is being shipped from Texas. Believe it or not, I have a hunch it will be easier than this grinder. And do a better job. I'm working with a local-ish grower who is growing organic flint corn that I plan on selling so I think I can justify this purchase. If I never use it, it will look good the garden at least!

This is from the dealer:

82c1_1.JPG

But i feel like I'm fighting the inevitable so I just bought a metate that is being shipped from Texas. Believe it or not, I have a hunch it will be easier than this grinder. And do a better job. I'm working with a local-ish grower who is growing organic flint corn that I plan on selling so I think I can justify this purchase. If I never use it, it will look good the garden at least!

This is from the dealer:

82c1_1.JPG

How about the outfit? I think you need an outfit. Everybody we saw using metates had on an outfit. Does the outfit come with it or must you buy it separately?

This is from the dealer:

82c1_1.JPG

How about the outfit? I think you need an outfit. Everybody we saw using metates had on an outfit. Does the outfit come with it or must you buy it separately?

I'm picturing you on your knees, pushing, pushing, grinding, pushing the masa into submission, your ample bosom struggling to stay within the confines of your tattered but pretty peasant blouse.

This is from the dealer:

82c1_1.JPG

I'm picturing you on your knees, pushing, pushing, grinding, pushing the masa into submission, your ample bosom struggling to stay within the confines of your tattered but pretty peasant blouse.

Story of my life.

Fresh Masa - How Long Does It Last?

The title to this topic. So far we have explored tortillerias in Brooklyn, grinders versus metates, and Christopher's ample peasant bosom. I really like where we are going so far, except for the tangents my mind wanders into. Guess I should've ordered Rancho Gordo tortilla chips instead of using Toasted Corn Doritos for my moose chilaquiles. Then I spent time dawdling around "White Corn Pozole." Clicked on Rancho Gordo grits, rajas, Roasting chiles (this is excellently presented), then clicked on the highlighted "tortilla" and ended up in URL Not Found. You know from all my whining that I have given up on store bought corn tortillas for the reasons you mention in your website. Just walking past them in the grocery store makes me wince. So when you get some made with fresh masa, how long will they last at room temperature so we could sell our oldest children to buy some? ;) Oh, and the subject of garage tortilla makers/vendors, well, I guess I am a bigoted gringa. I squirm a bit when the third world lands next door and sells food from carts and there's no hot water or separate sinks for washing hands. The ethnic "cuteness" ls lost on me. Me, who really doesn't want to deal with hepatitis and TB. Guess I'm sounding a bit awful, but microbes haunt me and public health departments exist for a reason, not just to harrass some poor person trying to eek out a living by making tortillas.

Fresh Masa - How Long Does It Last?

The title to this topic. So far we have explored tortilleras in Brooklyn, grinders versus metates, and Christopher's ample peasant bosom. I really like where we are going so far, except for the tangents my mind wanders into. Guess I should've ordered Rancho Gordo tortilla chips instead of using Toasted Corn Doritos for my moose chilaquiles. Then I spent time dawdling around "White Corn Pozole." Clicked on Rancho Gordo grits, rajas, Roasting chiles (this is excellently presented), then clicked on the highlighted "tortilla" and ended up in URL Not Found. You know from all my whining that I have given up on store bought corn tortillas for the reasons you mention in your website. Just walking past them in the grocery store makes me wince. So when you get some made with fresh masa, how long will they last at room temperature so we could sell our oldest children to buy some? ;) Oh, and the subject of garage tortilla makers/vendors, well, I guess I am a bigoted gringa. I squirm a bit when the third world lands next door and sells food from carts and there's no hot water or separate sinks for washing hands. The ethnic "cuteness" ls lost on me. Me, who really doesn't want to deal with hepatitis and TB. Guess I'm sounding a bit awful, but microbes haunt me and public health departments exist for a reason, not just to harrass some more person trying to eek out a living by making tortillas.

Oddly, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking/saying but the tortillas will last 2 weeks in the fridge.

Oh, I just heard from a co-worker that men do not use the metates. That is for women only. Not macho enough. The molinos are for the men. Metates for the women. Need to haul Joan out of the warehouse.

Oh, I just heard from a co-worker that men do not use the metates. That is for women only. Not macho enough. The molinos are for the men. Metates for the women. Need to haul Joan out of the warehouse.

That's very funny. I was just telling a friend the same thing and she thought I was nuts.

Oddly, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking/saying but the tortillas will last 2 weeks in the fridge.

I think I was hoping you were going to start selling your wonderful-looking corn tortillas on the RG website. I'm sure this whole subject has been well thought out a long time ago or you would be selling them already. The fresh masa is available by special advance order and you keep the chips in stock for sale, right? I should try to find the FAQ section on the Rancho Gordo website so as not to be a pest here.

I don't sell the tortillas, the chips or the masa via mail order, only at the market.

From a whisper to a scream, I am now getting this metate as well:

5431_12.JPG

Prehistoric Hohokam Metate & Mano

CIRCA: A.D. 500 to 1450

DIMENSIONS: Metate: 13 1/2" by 12" by 6" & Mano: 4 1/45" by 3" by 1 1/2".

How likely is this date range? It was only $50.

If it is this old, can I use it or just look at it?