Sneakeater

Olmsted Trading Post

When Olmsted turned its private dining room into a grocery store a month or two ago, I was disappointed.  This was before the huge lines that were keeping me from the GAP Greenmarket had dissipated, and it was very clear that the Olmsted Trading Post wasn't providing the alternative I hoped it would.  There are only four or five items of fresh produce each week:  not near enough choice for them to be your primary supplier.  The other stuff they have is very nice -- the bread is, indeed, fantastic -- but it's all, at least to me, kind of inessential if enjoyable luxury items.  The wine prices are stupid.

Now that I can get back into the Greenmarket, though, I see what an excellent resource Olmsted Trading Post is.  There may not be a wide selection of produce (rotating each week) -- but what there is is fabulous, almost European market quality.  They're not giving it away, but the portions are small enough that you don't have to pay huge amounts.  It's nice to have Jasper Hill cheese -- and their fantastic butter -- available up the street (people who live in Manhattan can snicker if they want).  And have I mentioned how great the bread is?

So the way you use this is, you go Wednesday or Thursday or Friday and see what they have that you want, and then use the Saturday GAP Greemarket to fill out your crisper.

I'd rather have Foxface up the street, sure.  But this is really good.

Just to fill out a detail I left out of my previous post, what Olmsted is doing here is selling product from its own kitchen and produce and raw materials from its suppliers.  Including farms and vendors that even now don't generally make their stuff available to individual consumers, even in this new age of Pandemic Purchasing.  The produce really is ridiculous.  And you can buy it without highly inconvenient minimum purchase requirements.

We've seen demand for this (eta: this being produce and other groceries) decline rapidly, I guess due to a combination of people getting sick and tired of cooking at home and seeing the market as being safer (and at least in the case of USGM generally not crowded at all) - not to mention with actual produce from this year. Last week we still offered some produce but I think this week we'll just do provisions. I think Olmsted are handling all of this very nicely.

The reason Olmsted is worth it is that their produce is markedly better than anything available at the GAP Greenmarket.

Yup, and that's not hard of course, just saying it was a service that was more significant earlier on. 

You see, to me personally it's the opposite.  When I couldn't get into the Greenmarket I found Olmsted Trading Post useless and instead used Natoora, Fellow Farmer, etc. (their portion sizes and the requirement of buying enough to make delivery worth it, as well as the uncertainty of when delivery would actually occur, rendering it difficult-to-impossible to coordinate them with supplementation from Olmsted).  It was only when the Greenmarket became viable again for me (meaning I could get in without waiting an hour) that Olmsted became useful.

But I probably think differently from most  people.

Life style question:   How far do you travel for provisions?    On foot?   Are you now using public transport/private cars?   It's my sense you live well in a fairly circumscribed neighborhood...like many if not most of us.

(The Greenmarket in particular is a tough call, as it's held at the other end of this big ceremonial traffic circle I live on.  I walk there across the plaza in the center of the traffic circle.  Who knows how many blocks that is?  It only takes a few minutes -- that I know.)

@Sneakeater - where exactly do they put the market? I've always tried to figure it out when we drive through the area but I can't.

It's in the area right in front of the park, between the traffic Circle roadway and the Park entrance.

Look at this map.  You see the gray area between Grand Army Plaza/Flatbush Avenue and the Park?  That's where the Greenmarket has always been.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grand_Army_Plaza_Greenmarket_general_map.JPG

Now that they need to spread things out, they've put some of the more popular vendors into the Plaza in the middle of the Circle itself.  But only a few, at the end of the Plaza nearest to the Park.  They've also moved a few popular vendors to the road that goes into the Park from the Circle (East and West Drives on the map).