10 hours ago, voyager said:

Life style question:   How far do you travel for provisions?    On foot?   Are you now using public transport/private cars?   It's my sense you live well in a fairly circumscribed neighborhood...like many if not most of us.

Pre-pandemic, I'd been known to walk up to (or, in the days when I was riding a bicycle before I got nearly crushed by an M23 bus, ride up to) the Union Square greenmarket. That's about a 2-mile walk, one way; being laden down with purchases, I could then hop on an M14 bus, which stops not far from our front door. Now - that ain't happening, because I'm not getting on a bus for a while. (Interestingly, a doctor's office I visited not long ago is right near that market - I walked both ways, and ended up putting 5 miles on the dogs that day).

The very minimal shopping I currently do (mostly for breads, though I did buy some lemongrass last week) is now centered on the Essex Market, which is basically about a 5 - 10 minute walk from our front door. I will hit it at the end of an exercise walk - and the air conditioning is really great in the new market! Theoretically, everything I might possibly need could be within a 10 minute walk...It's kinda what makes us (or made us) very happy to remain Manhattanites as we (one day) grow older in our NORC.

And it may be time to start using the car more (something I don't normally do if my "chores" are in Manhattan); I can drive up to the Union Square greenmarket on a Saturday morning (early), easily find parking within a block or so, shop like a madman and be back home within an hour or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An ad inside an ad inside what's already a PR copy paste publication, and in violation of Proverbs 27:2 At least there's only a hint of labor law violations, so that's not as bad as the Otway adm

I get most things delivered. I send my mother in law out for anything else we may need. 

Pre-pandemic, I'd been known to walk up to (or, in the days when I was riding a bicycle before I got nearly crushed by an M23 bus, ride up to) the Union Square greenmarket. That's about a 2-mile walk,

Posted Images

11 hours ago, voyager said:

Life style question:   How far do you travel for provisions?    On foot?   Are you now using public transport/private cars?   It's my sense you live well in a fairly circumscribed neighborhood...like many if not most of us.

I get most things delivered. I send my mother in law out for anything else we may need. 

• Haha 2

The Saturday-morning GAP greenmarket is a ten-minute -- including traffic-light pauses -- walk downhill from us, since we're across from the Brooklyn Museum/Botanic Gardens (the latter reopening soon, with timed tickets!). We go every week or so. Thanks for the Olmsted tip, I hadn't known. That'll stretch our maximum foraging walk a little.

I've been happy enough with contactless groceries. And am willing to pay 1/3 more for better, delivered fish and shellfish. It took me a long time to embrace delivered takeout; I still don't like the added risk of shopping in person. But lovely spouse is the monitor of money, and hates being cooped up. And her vote's greater than mine.

A shame the GAP market doesn't mean more socializing, since we're there anyway. Half our giant building's neighbors must shop there. But we recognize almost no one masked, except for a limp or unique specs/hair/scalp.

Ironically, I've increased my exposure with a couple of medical visits to make possible a forthcoming week at the Jersey shore. Where we'll be comfortably trapped at a house where preordered groceries have been contactlessly placed in a car trunk by store employees and then driven, by our hosts, to the garage, where, on the floor and in a fridge and freezer, they'll have been sprayed or staged for up to three days of aging till there's less than zero risk of active virus on food surfaces. No farther walk for food than the kitchen, and zero risk for us while we're there. All our danger will be in getting there and back. Still not worth it for me. But, like I said, and at the risk of posting about politics, the voting here is rigged.

And there's me schlepping nearly two miles* to Essex St Market and back and it feels like 100 degrees.  Two or three blocks, pshaw.

*That is the roundtrip

56 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

And there's me schlepping nearly two miles* to Essex St Market and back and it feels like 100 degrees.  Two or three blocks, pshaw.

*That is the roundtrip

Yeah, but the air conditioning in there is really great!

• Haha 1
On 7/27/2020 at 9:48 PM, mitchells said:

We’re trying a couple of Blue Hill boxes this week. Will report back. 

This was fun. Nice drive on a beautiful day with the top down in the car. Blue Hill has a number of "Box" options including Pork, Beef, Lamb, Dairy, Garde Manger and a newer Deli box. All ordering is via Tock and you sign up for a pick up time. You check in at the gate just off Bedford Rd and when you drive by the back of the restaurant your boxes are on a table. The boxes are wonderfully packed with ice when needed. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we went for the Dairy and Garde Manger boxes. First the dairy: All of the prepared items are packed in nice small jars, tins or plastic containers. The dairy box included 1/2 dozen eggs, quail eggs, 1/2 gallon of milk, yoghurt, panna cotta, milk jam, 2 cheeses from jasper hill, butter, cream cheese, a pint of black raspberry ice cream, labneh, some other spreadable cheese, mozzarella curds, cured egg yolks, labneh and a log of chocoate chip cookie dough. All of this was $98 which I thought was great value. Everything we had was very good and we still have the cookie dough, some butter, some cheese and some milk still in the fridge. We also picked up the Garde Manger Box which is more of things to prepare for snacks or a lunch. Like a small lobster salad with kohlrabi wraps (enough for 6 small tacos. Tonnato sauce which was great on some crackers. The ingredients for a green gazpacho with herbs and olive oil marinade. Fennel sausage, already cooked. Grilled corn with herb butter seasoning. I think there was also a small loaf of bread, cooked berries (which was awesome with the panna cotta and other stuff I can't even remember. Also $98. They also give you a large two sided menu so to speak with instructions on different ways you can use the items. May sound silly but it was fun. We made homemade mozzarella from the curds and for our first effort we were very pleased. Will be doing this again, probably with the pork box. 

• Like 1
On 8/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, joethefoodie said:

Sounds great. Nothing is silly at this point.

For the quality I would assume, it sounds like a super value.    + a nice outing.

• 5 weeks later...