My Fish Problem - Fresh Seafood - or - How Fresh Is It?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another source I can recommend: https://gulfofmainesashimi.com/ Regalis are making it available to wholesale clients, I'm not sure if it's on their retail offerings yet. Everything ikejime a

Let's talk for a moment about the pandemic, which has changed my buying habits dramatically. Others' habits I can't speak for.  I haven't been to a farmer's market, where the seafood I'd occasionally

I hear you, believe me. Buying retail fish around here is terrible as the already very long time it spends in the market and distribution system (after not being bled or otherwise prepared for that) i

Posted Images

I realize I am an outlier. But...

For 20 years I lived in FL with the ocean as my backyard. Also close to Mayport where most of the fishermen, shrimpers and oystermen in that corner of NE FL dock with their catch. After having access to such fresh seafood (including things like still live softshell and blue crabs), moving to Las Vegas was a seafood culture shock. Not a seafood shop to be found. It was the grocery store or nothing. Now, many years later, there still is not a 'real' seafood shop to be found. WF is the best option. But that's like the best house in a bad neighborhood. The lack of selection and slow sales on the more interesting fish makes shopping a crap shoot. I'd not tried the frozen route until the pandemic. But, so far it's been a much better option. 

• Like 1

@Orik - that cure sounds good and easy. Probably works nicely for salmon too. Stealing it.

@mitchells - of course I'd much rather work with fresh king salmon. I have noted a loss of moisture from certain fish cooked via certain methods...my current method of cooking yields much moister fish, and that's a very low (like 225℉) steam heat in the combi oven, for a very short period of time (like I'm testing it after 4 minutes).

When I worked the North festival with all those chefs from Scandinavia, one of the chefs I worked with on his class was Frode Selvaag, from Norway. He was touting fjord farmed salmon and halibut. And one of his dishes was this "cold-smoked" salmon, he prepared in the oven. I don't remember exactly, but I think he turned the oven on to the lowest temp it could be, put a package of smoldering wood chips in the oven, and put the fish in at the same time. Roasted that fish for like under 10 minutes, and done. 

This hack of a writer even wrote about the whole festival.

North Festival From the Inside

@Evelyn - there is a Whole Foods down in DC or environs (I can't remember which one it was) that I shopped at when we were part-time residents. Pre-Amazon, and they actually had a beautiful, well-tended and staffed fish department - like with one or two people who knew what they were doing. Lots of stuff from the Chesapeake, whole fish, crabs, you name it. I can't remember the last time in was in Whole Foods here (or in Gowanus), but I usually walk right by the fish department; I've bought decent salt cod when they've had it, and the frozen wild Florida and gulf shrimp were good. Otherwise, not worth it.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

@Orik - that cure sounds good and easy. Probably works nicely for salmon too. Stealing it.

Salmon might need a bit longer as the fillets are thicker, but should definitely work. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, voyager said:

I don't shop where they won't.   

Kinda tough to smell fish through my mask. Or to even get close to the counter - the Union Square Greenmarket is now select-by-pointing-from-6-feet-away.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, small h said:

Kinda tough to smell fish through my mask. Or to even get close to the counter - the Union Square Greenmarket is now select-by-pointing-from-6-feet-away.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

@Evelyn - there is a Whole Foods down in DC or environs (I can't remember which one it was) that I shopped at when we were part-time residents. Pre-Amazon, and they actually had a beautiful, well-tended and staffed fish department - like with one or two people who knew what they were doing. Lots of stuff from the Chesapeake, whole fish, crabs, you name it. I can't remember the last time in was in Whole Foods here (or in Gowanus), but I usually walk right by the fish department; I've bought decent salt cod when they've had it, and the frozen wild Florida and gulf shrimp were good. Otherwise, not worth it.

@small h I couldn't shop under those conditions.  

@joethefoodieThe fish department at our major WF smells!     I wouldn't buy anything from them.    Same with MollyStone.   

1 minute ago, small h said:

There were plenty of fisherfolk in East River Park when I took a stroll there yesterday afternoon. Dunno if they're catching anything.

Yep - but whatever they're catching might just be for personal use at this point. 

There are quite a few species, but I'm guessing those fisherfolk are after stripers or blues.