The English Language

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this deserves its very own thread, since it's more than just a Surreal Annoyance. And some of its abuses are so egregious. Or just hilarious. Like this one:   The wife of one of my business

Among those who use the term, "aks" for "ask" is communicatively effective. If you and I decide to use "hello" to mean "goodbye", it will be communicatively effective between us, but I'm not sure that

You don't know that, do you?

I just used a nickel in buying morels.

I believe that before I gave the cashier the coin along with a bill, I said, “Wait, let me see if I have a nickel.”

Slightly off topic, but did the seller know what to do with the coin?    Most bizarre was yesterday when husband gave a cashier 10€20 for a 2€20 purchase.    She looked at it and looked at it and gave the 20p back, not knowing how to make change that differed from what the register told her.   

I just used a nickel in buying morels.

I believe that before I gave the cashier the coin along with a bill, I said, “Wait, let me see if I have a nickel.”

Slightly off topic, but did the seller know what to do with the coin?    Most bizarre was yesterday when husband gave a cashier 10€20 for a 2€20 purchase.    She looked at it and looked at it and gave the 20p back, not knowing how to make change that differed from what the register told her.   

File this under basic math skills, no?

With the cashier costing $21/hour, the time to discuss those pennies costs a nickel :)

Some 20 years ago my husband quipped that "old women rummage in their coin purses and hold up check out lines."   Hmmmm?   I started watching men try to dig into their pants pockets, then consider their finds to make perfect change.   Seemed like a push t0 me.   But...I haven't spent a coin since.   I just pay with bills and periodically hand over to him my collection of change...so he can dig through his pants pockets and hold up lines.   :D

Subtle change in our world. Remember when you were in line to pay cash and someone is holding it up with a damn credit card. Now the card payments go fast, and oh no someone is digging around for bills and coins.