The English Language

"Defendant John Doe owned a widget factory. Doe went to . . . ."

"Don't we have to define ("Doe")?"

"Are you concerned that the Judge wont know who Doe is?"

This drives me apeshit. Yet so many lawyers insist on it.

I recently heard a judge say the same thing: "Define the names of parties? Do you think we're idiots?"

A question best not answered.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this deserves its very own thread, since it's more than just a Surreal Annoyance. And some of its abuses are so egregious. Or just hilarious. Like this one:   The wife of one of my business

Among those who use the term, "aks" for "ask" is communicatively effective. If you and I decide to use "hello" to mean "goodbye", it will be communicatively effective between us, but I'm not sure that

You don't know that, do you?

From a reader comment on the Diners Journal post about reviewing St. Anselm:

I have had the privlege of dining at St. Anselm a few times since it's new insurrection, and have been wholeheartedly impressed every visit..

What happened there? was there a mutiny by staff?

Not to mention "it's" for the possessive. That error drives me bonkers.

From a reader comment on the Diners Journal post about reviewing St. Anselm:

I have had the privlege of dining at St. Anselm a few times since it's new insurrection, and have been wholeheartedly impressed every visit..

What happened there? was there a mutiny by staff?

Not to mention "it's" for the possessive. That error drives me bonkers.

Then never, ever read a post by

Lex

Not the only offender, but the one I notice the most. :lol:

When did "reveal" become a noun? I first noticed this on Eater, with all the Pulino's crap. I recall the big "silverware and napkin reveal." Now it's on ESPN, with the "Week 3 Big Reveal."

I first heard it on the TV show Trading Spaces almost ten years ago. (stay tuned after the commercial break for the big reveal). Now I hear it everywhere.

[being difficult]It apparently does have a technical meaning as a noun. But, ignoring that, I don't object to the usage. It's a functional coinage*. What's the alternative? "Revelation"? Too biblical.

*Not just for reality TV. It could apply to the twist in a good mystery movie or novel.[/being difficult]

When did "reveal" become a noun?

In the 16th century. But more relevantly, the broadcasting sense of "reveal" seems to have started at the same time as reality TV, with Candid Camera (1952):

A. Funt Eavesdropper at Large iii. 41 This is the process we call ‘the reveal’—the point, toward the end of each candid portrait, where we reveal to the subject what we've been doing.