Dining Out: Where would you go?

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

My thing with LeB is, when I'm not actually eating there, I think of the food as boring and overrefined.

But when I am actually eating the food, I can't believe how well it works.

The sauces are pretty exemplary. This fish is pretty high quality. The wine (Aldo!) suggestions are spot on.

It's also nice to eat in a classy place every once in a while. It's our favorite special occasion place here.

I don't know what the current pricing model is, but it's also not insanely expensive. Compared to what can be insanely expensive here.

• Like 1
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

On 10/29/2020 at 1:20 PM, Wilfrid said:

That's very well done. It doesn't give me a good feeling about using buses.

Slower than walking! Biohazardous! Ride a bus today! 

I saw in the nyc infection stats this week that 10% of new cases were associated with travel from outside the region. Given how little travel there is, and how much more of it we'll have in a few weeks, this should tell you everything you need to know about weeks 4-12 from now. Better get all that dining out out of your way because there might not be any until there's a vaccine. 

I have to say that the single scariest thing that's happened to me since I've started limited circulation was last weekend, when the R train I'd planned to switch to wasn't running and I was directed to a shuttle bus instead.

Everyone in the bus was wearing a mask (that's the only good part).  But there was no attempt whatsoever to keep the bus lightly populated:  to the contrary, the bus didn't leave till it was packed.  I was standing in the aisle, and all the passengers were cheek-by-jowl.

I was, to tell the truth, terrified.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

I have to say that the single scariest thing that's happened to me since I've started limited circulation was last weekend, when the R train I'd planned to switch to wasn't running and I was directed to a shuttle bus instead.

Everyone in the bus was wearing a mask (that's the only good part).  But there was no attempt whatsoever to keep the bus lightly populated:  to the contrary, the bus didn't leave till it was packed.  I was standing in the aisle, and all the passengers were cheek-by-jowl.

I was, to tell the truth, terrified.

Yeah... the moment a shuttle bus is the only public transportation option is the moment I get a cab. 

• Like 1

Same problem on the ever popular M14D. Fortunately, I don't have to travel at popular times, but I got on one which then filled up a couple of weeks ago. Passengers yelling at the driver to stop picking up more people.

Subways (outside the rush anyway) feel much more spacious.

Only place I've felt less comfortable was the Studio 54 exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum, where they were selling timed tickets but obviously way too many.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, Orik said:

Slower than walking! Biohazardous! Ride a bus today! 

I saw in the nyc infection stats this week that 10% of new cases were associated with travel from outside the region. Given how little travel there is, and how much more of it we'll have in a few weeks, this should tell you everything you need to know about weeks 4-12 from now. Better get all that dining out out of your way because there might not be any until there's a vaccine. 

I agree with your last sentence.  Anecdotal, but a significant portion of my NY-based friends who weren't previously openly irresponsible spent the weekend attending indoor unmasked parties and posting about it on Instagram.

Seeking a recommendation for a restaurant that

1. is in the East Village or Lower East Side

2. is comfortable to eat outside at even if it's cold (i.e., adequate heat-lamping)

3. prices most entrees <$25

4. probably has a table for 3 at 6:30 this Friday

Thoughts? Looking for a menu kind of like Bar Six, i.e. lots of choices for the spice-averse.