Dining Out: Where would you go?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Meredith380 said:

What type of cuisine do you want? 

If you're replying to me, "kind of like Bar Six" was the type of cuisine. In any case, we went to Tzarevna on Orchard, which ended up being a good choice. I had a kachapurri with crab, the guys had Cornish hen, and we got a pickle plate and a creme brulee with sunflower seed halvah to share. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Any suggestions for comfortable outdoors Asian (not Szichuan), preferably downtown? Was thinking Tuome, but the menu choice is limited if you're not doing the pig-out.

With the caveat that “comfortable” is subjective...

Wayla, Sobaya, Kaikagetsu, Saigon Social, Hanoi House, Bessou, Peking Duck House...

Kimika for Italiasian.

Jungsik for a budget-buster fancy outing.

5 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

With the caveat that “comfortable” is subjective...

Wayla, Sobaya, Kaikagetsu, Saigon Social, Hanoi House, Bessou, Peking Duck House...

Kimika for Italiasian.

Jungsik for a budget-buster fancy outing.

Every time I walk by Sobaya I want soba noodles. But they are only now open for dinner, whereas I used to enjoy solo lunches there so much.

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Every time I walk by Sobaya I want soba noodles. But they are only now open for dinner, whereas I used to enjoy solo lunches there so much.

We found that out a couple weeks ago the hard way. Walked up specifically to satisfy a lunch soba craving. The folks at Hi-Collar tried to woo us over but I was in the soba zone so we wound up walking all the way back down to Cocoron.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Did Corcoran satisfy?

Always. We were actually going to Sobaya just to mix it up, since we usually do Cocoran. 

Sobaya arguably has better noods, more buckwheaty. Better for a “pure” sobasperience. Cocoran is more about just getting a big hearty bowl with twenty things in it. 

• Like 1

I went to Shaun Hergott's Vestry last night.

The food was, well, Shaun Hergott.  Totally out of step with the current NYC zeitgeist (where even the fucking New Yorker is declaring that fine dining is no longer cool).  Well, except maybe a touch less militantly non-local than before.  But I just like the way his stuff tastes.  And he's got to be one of the best fish chefs around.

The service didn't hang together.  I think the problem was that there was no continuity; rather, it was like every FOH person was his or her own satellite.  As an example, when I arrived, I checked in at the desk.  The person at the desk had me shown to a table.  And then, a few minutes later, an officious guy appeared at tableside and asked me if I'd talked to anyone yet (the clear implication being that I was someone who had just been walking up the block and decided to sit down).  I told him I'd checked in and had been seated -- and would appreciate someone's taking my cocktail order, as my date had given me no particular reason to expect she'd be on time.

It continued in like manner throughout the night.  You'd tell one server something, and then another server would appear who'd never heard it.

I really did like the food, though.  But then I always like Chef Hergatt's food.

Copious heat lamps.  Which is an important consideration these days.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

And then, a few minutes later, an officious guy appeared at tableside and asked me if I'd talked to anyone yet (the clear implication being that I was someone who had just been walking up the block and decided to sit down). 

You know, with outdoor dining and the number of people on the streets, this could actually become an issue at some point.

Like hey, that's a nice chair - and it's heated! I think I'll sit down for a while!!

On 11/20/2020 at 11:04 AM, Wilfrid said:

Thanks guys, good suggestions. Looks like Wayla and Kimika need some advance planning.

Don't most places these days?  I find it very hard to go to most places without a few days' (at least) advance attention.