Dining Out: Where would you go?

So here's the thing...how long is Kinch here, from the start of Manresa's residency?

And is it really Manresa (lemme answer - no, of course not) w/o Kinch here, and w/o access to (probably much of) the product they use in Los Gatos? I mean, sure we'll have some nice spring produce, but we're still 3,000 miles away from SJO.

Does it matter?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

I know Kinch will be there the first few nights, but not sure if he plans to stay for the full run.

I remember when Michel Bras was at WD-50 and tried to make Gargouillou from greenmarket produce, with predictably mediocre results, and I think that was in September... hopefully we won't see an attempt to do the same (ramps, wintered over spinach, radishes?)

• Like 1

Intersect has a pretty set format:  the guest chef comes the week before to train the kitchen, and stays for the first week or so to oversee initial operations and then leaves.  I think Intersect's very able house Executive Chef, Nick Martinez, would view it as something of an imposition if the guest chef were to stay on longer than that.  But Martinez's sensitivites aren't really the point:  I'm sure this is all contractual, governed by a fairly form Intersect contract.

I usually try to make a point of going to Intersect the first week of a residency so I can experience the guest chef's work in person.  But here's the thing:  if I like it, I've always gone back a few times in subsequent weeks, and I've never noticed a pronounced drop-off.

The Manresa residency is different from the ones they've done in the past, though, in that it's more chef-centric -- and, even more important, as joe and Orik have pointed out, ingredient-centric.  It will be interesting to see how well they overcome the differences (to be polite) between the produce in California and here.  (Supplementing Orik's Bras reminiscence, I remember that when René Redzepi did his guest night at Corton, he had a few key ingredients shipped over from Copenhagen -- as I recall, some didn't make it, causing some last-minute angst -- and otherwise scoured the local Greenmarket.  But that was a one-night event.  I don't see how Kinch can have even that much shipped out from California for the duration of this residency.)

One thing's for certain:  this won't be the same as eating in Manresa (which, luckily for me, I haven't done -- so I'll be able to enjoy this more freely).

(Of course, you can all see the irony in Redzepi's position:  his whole shtick is using only hyper-local ingredients.  But when he guests in New York, he has some of his home ingredients shipped over, as the ingredients that are the basis of his cuisine aren't available here.  So in New York, his cooking wasn't so hyper-local.)

1 hour ago, Orik said:

We have a Manresa booking for June 2020

Is Kinch cooking?

29 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

(Of course, you can all see the irony in Redzepi's position:  his whole shtick is using only hyper-local ingredients.  But when he guests in New York, he has some of his home ingredients shipped over, as the ingredients that are the basis of his cuisine aren't available here.  So in New York, his cooking wasn't so hyper-local.)

Had he gotten here a few days ahead, he could have foraged the Rockaways.

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Now that you mention it, I think he claimed to have done that!

And you know, now that you mention that I mentioned it, I think you're onto something. though I can't find any stories about it.

I'm not so concerned about whether Kinch will be cooking or not. Maybe he's always in the kitchen at Manresa, but name chefs (as we all surely know) are often not in their kitchens: they're capable of training their teams to cook in their absence. So we'll see what he's able to do with the Intersect team and the ingredients available.

• Like 1

When he's not in the kitchen at Manresa, Manresa is still there. As is, most likely, his CdC, et al.

I'm excited to see/taste as well (then again, I'm excited to go to Katja at this point); but I've set my sights a bit lower after experiencing one or two meals at Intersect in the style of their (insert name here) flagship restaurant, after dining at the flagship.

19 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

And you know, now that you mention that I mentioned it, I think you're onto something. though I can't find any stories about it.

What I'm now remembering -- whether it's true is anybody's guess -- is that Redzepi was saying he was supposed to go out to Jamaica Bay or wherever to forage.  But that he couldn't, cuz he had to deal with the delivery problems with the stuff that was supposed to be coming from Copenhagen.

But I remember A LOT of shit that may or may not have happened.

• Like 1