Dining Out: Where would you go?

I was genuinely worried that top-level restaurants weren't going to undumb-down their menus when they could start serving inside and no longer had to rely on takeout/delivery.  I'm glad to see they are.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

Sister and I went to Soothr for what I hoped would be above average Thai food. It was exactly average Thai food. I can no longer be impressed by serviceable tom yum and martinis, since over the past year I've gotten pretty (very, even) good at making both. Unexpected pandemic effect - disappointment in restaurants.

I'm going to Rezdora in a couple of weeks for my birthday. Wish me luck.

Otherwise, though, that's just what I've been saying for months.  We've all gotten so good at making basics and even not-so-basics ourselves that less-than-excellent restaurants really do seem disappointing.

A couple of weeks ago I went to an American Vernacular place I've always enjoyed, and nice as the staff was, it kind of actively pissed me off:  food I could make at least as well myself, pre-batched cocktails for God's sake -- and it cost me north of $100.

I mean, WHY would you do that (unless you're terminally lazy and/or have a tiny roommated apartment you've just got to get out of)?

And how hard is it to make a proper Martini - something that should be taught to children in grade school.

We go to restaurants for a few reasons; sometimes food isn't the most important of those.

8 hours ago, small h said:

Sister and I went to Soothr for what I hoped would be above average Thai food. It was exactly average Thai food.

I didn't even think it was average, but I tried to remain soothed. 

I don't think anyone is 100% back but the transition back indoors is certainly helping people feel more serious about what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

And how hard is it to make a proper Martini

I have a whole category in my head entitled "how can you fuck THIS up?" There are several martinis on the list, including one from La Flaca (way too much vermouth) and one from The Boil on Chrystie St. (I don't even know, but it tasted like poison).

57 minutes ago, small h said:

I have a whole category in my head entitled "how can you fuck THIS up?" There are several martinis on the list, including one from La Flaca (way too much vermouth) and one from The Boil on Chrystie St. (I don't even know, but it tasted like poison).

lol - were they ice cold at least? I guess it's like pizza/bread - 4 ingredients...and let's see how we can fuck this up.

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I mean, WHY would you do that (unless you're terminally lazy and/or have a tiny roommated apartment you've just got to get out of)?

This is a question truly worth pondering. After having almost fourteen months to think about it, part of me regrets the time and money I spent in bars and restaurants -- especially for mediocre meals and drinks of course, but even the good stuff seems, in retrospect, like some wildly over-the-top bacchanalia.

I mean, let's be honest, I can't avoid noticing I have saved thousands of dollars since last March.

14 minutes ago, small h said:

Now I'm picturing a 50/50 fishbowl.

You are making me miss Mont Blanc 52. The martinis were dry enough, but you could practically swim a length in them. Two was the limit.