Dining Out: Where would you go?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

Leaves, flowers, and a knockout velouté on the side.

Unfortunately, I now see it isn't on the à la carte menu (the salad on the à la carte menu is a different one).

But get the black cod and the duck for sure. 

We went the second night and they weren't doing the tasting menu yet. Kinch's somewhat Japanese, somewhat Provencal French food was on clear display (he has some of his former team in there, which really helps) but of course this isn't Manresa in terms of the room, the dishes, the service, or the produce. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Maybe the wrong place for this as I already went but had an enjoyable dinner at Portale and an extraordinary dinner at Rosella. Man, I really missed good sushi over the last 16 months.  The entire staff seemed to be in a  good mood as it was Day 2 of no masks. Very chatty which was fine with me. 

Had a 10:15 at Dame.

As far as I knew, they were only doing outdoor dining.  When I got there -- after an hour's worth of subway misadventures -- it was too hot to eat outside.  But they've opened the inside!  But it isn't air conditioned!  So it was too hot to eat there, too!

So I jumped back on the subway.  It only took about 45 minutes to get home.

I know everybody thinks this outdoor cafe dining is cute and all.  But I hope we can return to civilized life soon.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I know everybody thinks this outdoor cafe dining is cute and all.  But I hope we can return to civilized life soon.

I guess that depends (I'm with you, of course)...

“We have an opportunity to make a permanent and positive change to the quality of life in New York City,” said Henry Gutman, the commissioner of the Department of Transportation, which oversees Open Restaurants and other initiatives that have turned street-parking spaces over to uses the city believes will benefit more people. “The program may have begun as an emergency measure to save” restaurants, he said. “But what we learned in the process is that New Yorkers like outdoor dining.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/dining/outdoor-dining-nyc.html

I think a lot of diners and a lot of people in the industry are enthusiastic about the continuation of outdoor dining. But it would be a different story if they were paying for all the extra real estate.

I assume Mr Gutman is not from New York if he's just learned that New Yorkers like to eat and drink outdoors.

20 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Had a 10:15 at Dame.

As far as I knew, they were only doing outdoor dining.  When I got there -- after an hour's worth of subway misadventures -- it was too hot to eat outside.  But they've opened the inside!  But it isn't air conditioned!  So it was too hot to eat there, too!

So I jumped back on the subway.  It only took about 45 minutes to get home.

We dined outdoor at Dame last week and while it was perfectly pleasant (and with their inside being effectively outside), there was still a super-powered street light (to shine a light on them unruly youngsters and their grilled oysters?), a thorough panhandler who went through every table and then came back for a second chance, and a round table that was somehow sized so it doesn't seem small but is just way too small. Restaurants, especially good ones, really aren't street cafes. 

• Like 1

True, but New York does have that layer of restaurants between good and crap which can serve a nice experience outside. Maybe it’s possible.

Panhandlers are ubiquitous anywhere there is established outdoor dining, of course, and shoe cleaners and buskers and people who want to sell you parrots or cats.

At Fradei, a completely soaked couple just shown in from their covered terrace table as kind people indoors offered to settle up quickly.