Dining Out: Where would you go?

10 hours ago, Orik said:

a thorough panhandler who went through every table and then came back for a second chance

Oh man, we had one of these on Canal Street last week. He stayed away from me, but I did comment to my wife that it appeared as if he were dripping something onto one of the tables.

And I haven't written about Forsythia yet (was good), but I have to say that we were eating literally on Stanton Street, in their hut. Not on the sidewalk or cantilevered over the sidewalk, but on the street.  And it wasn't closed to traffic. And cars came by. And a garbage truck came by. And they were really close. So fuck that.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

On 6/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, Sneakeater said:

Had a 10:15 at Dame.

As far as I knew, they were only doing outdoor dining.  When I got there -- after an hour's worth of subway misadventures -- it was too hot to eat outside.  But they've opened the inside!  But it isn't air conditioned!  So it was too hot to eat there, too!

So I jumped back on the subway.  It only took about 45 minutes to get home.

I know everybody thinks this outdoor cafe dining is cute and all.  But I hope we can return to civilized life soon.

We ate at Dame the first week it was open, outdoor 7PM reservation. It was so hot. Our chilled white wine got so warm so quickly once it was poured. Orik is right that the table was so small. I'm used to the panhandlers, though I can't say I enjoy them. The food was delicious (though the most noticeable ingredient in everything we ate was butter, not seafood), but overall it just wasn't an experience worth ~$225. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Anyone been?  One non-poster friend said it was quite good.

63 Clinton (the old Speedy Romeo spot).

I was taken to Uchu, their previous spot, and it was great. This looks a little more casual which I can't say I'm mad at.

16 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Anyone been?  One non-poster friend said it was quite good.

63 Clinton (the old Speedy Romeo spot).

11 hours ago, GerryOlds said:

I was taken to Uchu, their previous spot, and it was great. This looks a little more casual which I can't say I'm mad at.

Yes, as the same non-poster friend who liked 63 Clinton said, they really liked Uchu a great deal. Not for nothing, it is the style of how they like to dine.

Seeing posts here about familiar restaurants I am constantly shocked at how long it is since I’ve visited them. Need to bear in mind that for almost a year and a half I only went to Foxface (plus Hearth and Ko and that new Hergatt place).

Also, I am sure I would have raised an eyebrow at the Trois Chevaux price fixe price and the rabbit at Dhamaka pre-pandemic.

But I suspect that I am going to be grouchier about value for money after over a year of eating and drinking well for a fraction. I think I always went to bars and restaurants for atmosphere as much as food and drink, but I am now confronted by what atmosphere costs.

Curious if others feel the same (the post above too).

To me it's more stuff I can easily make at home I will not pay to eat out -- atmosphere or no atmosphere.  (I think I kind of felt that way in Before Times, too.  The difference is that after a year of concentrated focused cooking, I can now make a lot more stuff easily at home.)

Stuff I can't easily make at home, I'm still willing even to pay a premium for out, if I have to.

But I can't lie:  a few nights ago, I found myself sitting at a bar in some restaurant having dinner next to a very attractive woman, and I spent the evening kind of deep in conversation with her -- I'd met her previously in Before Times at the bar in another restaurant -- and I thought, "I've really missed this."

10 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I think I always went to bars and restaurants for atmosphere as much as food and drink, but I am now confronted by what atmosphere costs.

I was certainly not misunderstanding what atmosphere cost in the before times. And it costs more now; understandably, actually. 

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

To me it's more stuff I can easily make at home I will not pay to eat out -- atmosphere or no atmosphere.  (I think I kind of felt that way in Before Times, too.  The difference is that after a year of concentrated focused cooking, I can now make a lot more stuff easily at home.)

Stuff I can't easily make at home, I'm still willing even to pay a premium for out, if I have to.

I don't know that a year (and pushing a year and a half) of concentrated focused cooking has made me a better cook; what it has done is expanded what I do cook and use and cook with at home. My suppliers, if you will.

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

But I can't lie:  a few nights ago, I found myself sitting at a bar in some restaurant having dinner next to a very attractive woman, and I spent the evening kind of deep in conversation with her -- I'd met her previously in Before Times at the bar in another restaurant -- and I thought, "I've really missed this."

While I don't find myself in this position too often, we've certainly both missed the chitter chatter of others; the eavesdropping, the laughter, the laughs we have together when out, the inside jokes, etc.

The thing I've missed the most however - someone else doing all the fucking work.

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I don't know that a year (and pushing a year and a half) of concentrated focused cooking has made me a better cook; what it has done is expanded what I do cook and use and cook with at home. My suppliers, if you will.

Oddly, it had the opposite effect for me. While in The Before Times I made regular - once or twice a month - trips to far-flung neighborhoods to go ingredient hunting, my reticence to take the subway anywhere besides the one stop between my and the SO’s apartments led me to make do with what was within walking distance from either of our places. There was an early flirtation with online ordering from specialty places, but that fizzled. Buying apple blossoms from Baldor  isn’t quite the same as the joyful surprise of stumbling onto a jar of fermented durian clam sambal in the back of an Indonesian grocery. (OTOH, my girlfriend has been blessed with eighteen months of not having to smell fermented durian clam sambal.)

Set foot in Queens for the first time since Before just yesterday, in fact. Lunch at Lamoon. Kind of bummed to see they’ve expanded their menu with an assortment of pick-a-sauce pick-a-protein Southern curries. But I suppose they did whatever they thought necessary to survive, and at least they weren’t added at the expense of their original dishes. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Also, I am sure I would have raised an eyebrow at the Trois Chevaux price fixe price and the rabbit at Dhamaka pre-pandemic.

But I suspect that I am going to be grouchier about value for money after over a year of eating and drinking well for a fraction. I think I always went to bars and restaurants for atmosphere as much as food and drink, but I am now confronted by what atmosphere costs.

This is the foodie version of the "why am I paying so much in rent and taxes to live in nyc?", right?