Dining Out: Where would you go?

Not really. Restaurants will charge what they need to charge (and will find ingenious ways to do so like less protein, cheaper cuts, small plates, etc), but there has to be a fair value exchange. I don't perceive the fair value exchange in a $190 rabbit.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

Rabbit dinner, not rabbit.  Although even I have my limits on gawking, it did seem that the rabbit order included a bunch of related items, sort of like when the giant crab is ordered at Wu's.  If so, then I can see the price being almost reasonable.  Almost.

I am relieved to know that the lentils, potatoes and bread are not separately priced. 

Here's an explanation of the cost:

An entire crew needs to be hired for a separate shift to prepare the rabbit in the already compact kitchen. That’s why ordering one requires a 48-hour notice by email, and why it commands a $190 price tag. 

And fair enough, but that's very much from the restaurant's point of view. As a customer I am bound to wonder whether I'll get $95 worth of value out of them doing that. Maybe I would, I don't know, and if I don't need to order anything else I guess it's not as punitive as it looks at first glance.

13 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I am relieved to know that the lentils, potatoes and bread are not separately priced. 

Here's an explanation of the cost:

An entire crew needs to be hired for a separate shift to prepare the rabbit in the already compact kitchen. That’s why ordering one requires a 48-hour notice by email, and why it commands a $190 price tag. 

I’m a bit mystified as to why an entire separate crew needs to be brought in for a braised rabbit.

They fly them in from Rajasthan. 

I've been to their kitchen and it is very small. I think they might mean they can't do this at the same time as prep for their regular menu. 

1 hour ago, Seth Gordon said:

I’m a bit mystified as to why an entire separate crew needs to be brought in for a braised rabbit.

Not easy to catch one?

Wasn't easy for me to resist making a "there's a hare in my rice" joke.

8 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

Oddly, it had the opposite effect for me. While in The Before Times I made regular - once or twice a month - trips to far-flung neighborhoods to go ingredient hunting, my reticence to take the subway anywhere besides the one stop between my and the SO’s apartments led me to make do with what was within walking distance from either of our places. There was an early flirtation with online ordering from specialty places, but that fizzled. Buying apple blossoms from Baldor  isn’t quite the same as the joyful surprise of stumbling onto a jar of fermented durian clam sambal in the back of an Indonesian grocery. (OTOH, my girlfriend has been blessed with eighteen months of not having to smell fermented durian clam sambal.)

Set foot in Queens for the first time since Before just yesterday, in fact. Lunch at Lamoon. Kind of bummed to see they’ve expanded their menu with an assortment of pick-a-sauce pick-a-protein Southern curries. But I suppose they did whatever they thought necessary to survive, and at least they weren’t added at the expense of their original dishes. 

interesting, though I've still never ordered from Baldor.  But like Regalis, Chef Collective, Natoora, Alaska Seafood (one of the various Alaska purveyors), Gustiamo, La Tienda and even Fresh Direct all came in mighty handy for us.

If only fresh direct wouldn't pack the tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag. Idiots.

6 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

interesting, though I've still never ordered from Baldor.  But like Regalis, Chef Collective, Natoora, Alaska Seafood (one of the various Alaska purveyors), Gustiamo, La Tienda and even Fresh Direct all came in mighty handy for us.

If only fresh direct wouldn't pack the tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag. Idiots.

We did Chef Collective early on. That was fun, just getting whatever was in each week’s mixed veg box. Like a CSA without the commitment. And Mercato a few times. Only done Regalis for gigs where I wasn’t paying (but took a fair share of leftovers home)

The Baldor Home Edition was a bit frustrating, as half the catalog still had minimum sizes more suited for restaurants. They may have fixed that by now, if they’re still doing it. 

Once we finally felt comfortable going to the market though, we went back to Essex and a couple weekly walks to USQ for everything. (Also got some rabbits from Foxface, to tie all the subjects together.) 

• Like 1

It has been SUCH a relief getting produce at the Greenmarket rather than ordering, usually in stupid bulk (although I seem to have been more heedless in returning than you guys).

6 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

We did Chef Collective early on. That was fun, just getting whatever was in each week’s mixed veg box. Like a CSA without the commitment. And Mercato a few times. Only done Regalis for gigs where I wasn’t paying (but took a fair share of leftovers home)

The Baldor Home Edition was a bit frustrating, as half the catalog still had minimum sizes more suited for restaurants. They may have fixed that by now, if they’re still doing it. 

Once we finally felt comfortable going to the market though, we went back to Essex and a couple weekly walks to USQ for everything. (Also got some rabbits from Foxface, to tie all the subjects together.) 

5 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It has been SUCH a relief getting produce at the Greenmarket rather than ordering, usually in stupid bulk (although I seem to have been more heedless in returning than you guys).

Yes, kinda back to the routine now (though I never really gave up Essex Market; there were times when I think I was the only one in there). But still using Fresh Direct because - now I don't have to carry stuff like 12 packs of Sierra Nevada, or a few pounds of dried pasta which they are carrying from Gustiamo! (As well as bagels from one of my more favored bagel places out in Whitestone - albeit frozen).

And I remember one order from them where the live lobsters they had on sale were as lively as any I could have gotten plucked out a tank in Chinatown.  Probably cheaper, too.

10 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

how is the totally pretentious sounding green grocer in Essex Market? Their instagram makes me want to burn it down but that could just be marketing.

Alimentari Flaneur

Ahhh, the one downstairs.  I've sort of chuckled the few times I've walked by; the prices are crazy for any of the regular old-school Essex Market shoppers. And it didn't appear they were carrying anything one couldn't get at any of the 3 green grocers upstairs at half the price. I could be wrong, as I haven't really delved into any of the other products he's carrying, but nothing looks like you couldn't get it up on Arthur Avenue or by digging deeper upstairs. 

alminetari.thumb.jpeg.e362879d4ecf375e237f679e8f049274.jpeg

Coleman's Mustard! La Valle tomatoes!

His IG is nice ...https://www.instagram.com/alimentariflaneur/