Dining Out: Where would you go?

31 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

how is the totally pretentious sounding green grocer in Essex Market?

Hilariously overpriced, but I've bought a few things that (as far as I know) aren't readily available elsewhere, like white asparagus. It's also the only place I've ever seen raisins on the vine, should one want such a thing.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

how is the totally pretentious sounding green grocer in Essex Market? Their instagram makes me want to burn it down but that could just be marketing.

Alimentari Flaneur

Haha. Those guys. They’re nice. Sometimes they’ll have interesting things that you won’t find anywhere else in the market. Like, bergamots or castelfranco or unripe apricots or fresh carob pods or whatever. Or caraflex cabbage I imagine.

But the $8.99/lb fennel bulbs or $7 onions, nah. 

3 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

how is the totally pretentious sounding green grocer in Essex Market? Their instagram makes me want to burn it down but that could just be marketing.

Alimentari Flaneur

It's like a SoHo furniture store. If they sell just one item a week they're in business. 

5 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

unripe apricots or fresh carob pods

Unripe apricots are often the only kind available - even from my corner fruit stand!

I think I've seen the carob pods upstairs at one of the lesser green grocers.

5 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

But the $8.99/lb fennel bulbs or $7 onions, nah. 

That stuff must appeal to people who think it's gotta be better, 'cause it costs so much. IT'S AN ONION.

49 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Unripe apricots are often the only kind available - even from my corner fruit stand!

Yeah, true. These were like, size-of-cherries unripe, fully green, with a gelatinous edible pit. I guess the idea was to use then the way you’d use green almonds. Or to cash in on that unripe strawberry fever from a few years ago.

I sliced one up in a salad with dandelion greens, burrata, and (ripe) strawberries. They weren’t offensive but not terribly interesting either.

86F3FEB4-0696-4401-961C-89B1F9030C8D.thumb.jpeg.eb7a23d5addd6e53c89dacc28a3296db.jpeg

I have a vague memory of seeing some preserved unripe apricots in an Italian market, and being curious but not trying them because there was “truffle” something in it. I think it was at Falai’s coffee shop / market in SoHo?

• Like 1

To be clear, I didn't "give up" on the Greenmarket so much as it gave up on me.  Entry restrictions, both for the market as a whole and individual stalls, caused unbearably long lines no matter how early I went.  And you had to buy everything prepackaged in moderately large portions, so it was not materially better for a single eater than ordering from online vendors.  And the selection on offer at most stalls -- as well as the number of vendors -- was WAY depleted.

I STILL went every week.  But it was not much use -- and no fun.

• 1 month later...

If I read one more restaurant owner saying, "we don't discriminate on grounds of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or vaccination status", I am either going to vomit or get violent (depending on whether I'm feeling inner- or outer-directed).

Do they not understand the difference between distinctions without a difference and distinctions that are meaningful???????????  Is it that they think we're morons, or that they're morons?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

If I read one more restaurant owner saying, "we don't discriminate on grounds of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or vaccination status", I am either going to vomit or get violent (depending on whether I'm feeling inner- or outer-directed).

Do they not understand the difference between distinctions without a difference and distinctions that are meaningful???????????  Is it that they think we're morons, or that they're morons?

The thinking behind that statement, or lack of, is truly scary.   This is in town?   i.e., not in Florida or Texas?

You don't have to go to law school to understand that it isn't wrongful discrimination to make classifications on grounds that are actually relevant to a permissible purpose.   Nobody's going to claim that the Rolling Stones have to hire me to replace Charlie Watts.

• Like 1

Interesting that restaurant owners "worry" about not being able to feed the unvaccinated; what about worrying about not feeding the people who are vaccinated, who don't want to eat anywhere where someone unvaccinated might be sitting in the same room?

Morons.

• Like 1

vis a vis the last two sentences in your linked article, is it necessary,  or effective, to deny people access to what they want in order to get them to accept the vax?    I live in the liberal capital of the US, but I just can't get the anti-vax freedom rationale.  This is  not a vasectomy or organ donation.   It's several shots. 

When I was in elementary school, the city health doctor and school nurse lined us all up and administered various shots.   And sent us through the TB chest x-ray bus once a year.   Probably had no effect, but I'm still around.   And very few parents opted out their kids.   In fact, the ones who stayed behind were considered "odd".